Help - Setting Clutch So Gears Engage & But Doesn't Slip

Ravensmoor Bob

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Well I've trawled YouTube, read the Haynes manual, & of course looked on the forum for advise. Basically I have a UK spec XS2 9k miles from new, I've just re-commissioned her & can't seem to achieve the condition where you can engage gear & the clutch doesn't slip. When riding it feels as though the clutch is "dragging" but if I adjust the cable at the bars to reduce free play it slips! I have adjusted the screw in the casing as per the you tube clip someone suggested on here; cable fully slack, locknut released, centre screw just touching push rod, out 1/8 of a turn, lock, re-adjust cable to give 2mm free play at the bars.
Reading various articles the clutch is a relative weakness on the bike, & is a sod to adjust. Can someone please explain what I've done wrong or is it a strip down??
P.S. I am using Morris oil that I was told doesn't contain friction reduction additives & should be suitable for a 70's classic, but when I check the tin it seems to conform to too many specs to be a basic lubricant? perhaps this isn't helping?? Cheers Bob

Are you using the recommended oil weight? That makes a difference. I recently put a hydraulic clutch on my bike and also installed a members eight-pack clutch disc assembly. I now have a great clutch and no adjusting. Good luck. Tony C.

Posted via Mobile

I think if oil or adjustment is not the problem then you are going to have to go in and take a look. I don't have an early engine I only have mid and late engines. So I only have that to work with. You may have to pull the plates out and measure them for thickness. I dont know if You have been there It's not a big deal in the 477 engines. I figure it's the same in your engine
here is a video of the process

Well I've taken a look at the clutch as suggested, & the friction plates are knackered!
I've just ordered the parts from Heiden Tuning in Holland & I am fitting the newer parts (3mm thick as opposed to 3.5mm) & to do this I need one extra of each plate (friction & steel) The video link was very helpful, so thanks a lot for that. Cheers Bob

I would get the up rated thrust bearing from heiden as well, had problems with drag when hot and was hard to find neutral and would stall going into first, up-rated thrust bearing sorted it right out.....

Back