Help Wanted: Motor Rebuild

projectbob01

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I recently traded for an 81 xs650. The motor is in pieces. I was told all that is needed is new piston rings and gaskets. The bottom end is still intact, i just have to put the top end back together. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

there is a series of pictures of motor rebuilding over at mikesxs.net I got 3 different types of manuals for working on these. manuals are good investment.

if you do not have the ability to mic your barrels and pistons I would take it to a machine shop along with the specs and have it checked to see if all you need is rings. mike barrels were on the verg of needing a oversize boring so I bought oversize pistons and had it bored to next oversize. cost me 100 for the pistons with rings and pins and 40 each barrel so 180 total but you can chance it and just get rings.. there should be some numbers stamped on the top of piston that will give you a clue to the size of rings you need.

make sure the crank has not spred.
do a valve job
cam chain, cam chain guide, check the cam chain tensioner.
engine gasket set
sump filter
oil filter
I would pull the right side cover off check the clutch disks and steel plates.
lower end seal set that's a 10 peice set
get copper head washers to replace the rubber oem washers
"Suzuki part #09168-10017 is for copper head washers get 4 around $2.00"

I just did all that and wished I knew about the suzuki washers at that price I paid 2 something ea. I put 8 of them on it.

Back