Help with ordering correct ignition for 82 xs

tstcin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a beginner here and I've slowly been working on making some changes to my 1982 xs. I've purchased a new PMA, but I also realize that since the '82's are TCI engines, I will need a new ignition. Hugh's suggests Pamcopete, but I'm having troubles figuring out what part exactly I need to purchase from the website (http://www.yamahaxs650.com). I shot both Hugh's and Pamcopete emails last week but have yet to get anything back and I'm really wanting to get things ordered so I can get going and finally ride this thing!

Thanks.

You need a regular kit (not a re-phased or 277 or 270 kit) that includes the advance rod, the 3 advance rod bushings, and either a mechanical advance assembly or the PamcoPete E-Advancer. If you got to MikesXS, I believe there are 4 choices that will work for you, ranging from about 220 to 350 as I recall.

+1 on the e-advance and I would also go with the one that has the Ultimate coil it is Part #14-0913. If I were starting from scratch on a later model with TCI ignition that is where I would go. Also be careful installing the bushings in the camshaft as there have been reports of fitment issues resulting in the threaded end of the camshaft cracking.

So, I purchased the kit, now just working on getting everything installed. I'm still waffling on whether or not to just use the stock coil. If I decide to go this route, do you still need to replace the plug caps with resistor caps?

I know that if I use the Ultimate coil you need the resistor caps. Do you also need resistor plugs?

Resistor caps OR resistor plugs but not both. I can't really comment on using the stock coil for the tci as the last bike I had was points and my current one was a tci but everything was missing.

The stock coil will work.
The stock coil should already have resistor caps on it.
You can test by removing a cap and checking resistance, should be about 5,000 (5K) ohms. Or, maybe it has 5K written right on it.
With either coil, you use either resistor caps or resistor plugs, not both.

ippytattoo,

Thanks for the heads up on the bushings. The bushings I received are VERY tight, and I'm a little concerned with trying to install them. Anyone have any tips? I would call Mike's and ask, but can't seem to find a number to call and get some advice.

If you have them in the cam already it may be a little difficult to get them out but I would try and get them out and clean the inside of the cam where the bushings go. You can either use a flap wheel in dremel or make a small flap wheel by using a large cotter pin or a piece of round stock with a slot in it and wrap some emery cloth in it for a drill. Then use this to clean the inside of the cam. The bushings should be snug but not Very tight as indicated. Hope that helps.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Bushings installed. I'm installing the advance rod but having some difficulty. Mostly can't figure out how to get the advance replacer cap to work on the rod. It seems as if it would fit correctly without the disk that is on the end of the rod, but that disk doesn't come off. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong. A little help?

full

Yep that advance disc needs to come off. With it on there the cap will not go on but I don't have a good suggestion on how to get it off.

tstcin,

Hammers and tongs are acceptable because the advance rod does not do anything with the E-Advancer cap. Just be sure to slot the two locating pins in the advancer cap.

Also, I've read that some folks have placed their ultimate coil in a different spot than the original. Is this recommended? Or will the ultimate coil be fine with the setup shown on the yamahaxs650.com website? I want to be as safe as possible with the bike and I see others are concerned having a high output coil so close to the gas tank.

Under the tank is ideal. If Pete recommends it, it's all good! I'm going to be putting my ultimate coil on my 81 in a few days in the same place. I put the pamco in with the stock coil to ensure the pamco was working before replacing the coil. Less variables to think about if the bike doesn't start.

Thanks everyone for the great info for the install and purchase. I have everything installed. Battery is nice and charged. However, when I go to start her, she turns over but does not fire up.

I've played with the timing by adjusting the sensor plate. If it's adjusted all the way one direction (either way), the bike makes a terrible grinding/scratching noise when I hit the start button. If I play with it just a little from the original position, it will turn over and sound like it should, but still doesn't fire up. I've also tried just using kick to start but no improvement.

The bike ran before the PMA and pamco install for a short period of time (not long because the charging system was poor and killed my battery pretty quickly).

Keep in mind I'm a total newbie!

Back