Wanted - Help with tooling.

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
I know this is an odd request but I am in the process of making some tooling to do LH side cover machining so they can accept the Aprilia style hydraulic slave cylinders and I need a piece made for the tooling. I need a slug made that is 28mm O.D. x 8mm I.D. x 25mm long (material is not important, steel or aluminum will be more than adequate).

Like this:
full

If anyone would be able to help out I would appreciate it.

Clayton

The o.d needs to be pretty close on tolerance. It will be going into an old slave cylinder body that measures 28.04mm 5/16 hole would be good and 1" long would be good.

Okay, I've already got a piece of aluminum chucked-up. How about 28mm OD, 5/16" ID, 25mm long?
PM me your address and it should go out tomorrow...

Hey guys have you seen the KTM slave it fits the best for what you are trying to do .
Used them before and are very cheap on ebay.
If you are building a new mouse trap then good for you. Like to see new stuff.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 73
  • $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 70
I used the aprilia slave cylinder too and it is a straight bolt on. I did take a sanding disk to the side cover to flatten the slight curvature so the slave sits flat, but I've seen them bolted up without that and they fit great. Wondering what you've got going on...

Edit:also I used the slave carrier that fits into the side cover recess perfectly with some modifications, this carrier is what holds the slave cylinder straight.

Last edited:
Twomany, Thanks again. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Solid, I have found a new aftermarket slave cylinder that does not require the modified outer cup (piston retainer) like the stock Aprilia slave cylinder. I am working on getting the tooling sorted out so that I can offer drilling and tapping the side cover for the aftermarket Aprilia style slave cylinder. I have also been toying with the idea of offering the side cover machining with a new slave cylinder and the correct length hardened precision ground stainless steel push rod. Just working on making sure the alignment is perfect and the process is repeatable.

Just for grins, maybe you could slide a 12" long 5/16" dia laser-straight drill rod into the pushrod hole, fit-up a sidecover (minus wormdrive), and measure/check for any eccentricity to the wormdrive hole. I was considering making an alignment confirmation jig, basically to see if any untolerable misalignment exists, more of a go/no-go quality check of sidecovers, but my head exploded....

That was one of the reasons I decided to not use the hole in the side cover for the chrome cap and actually use the 2 mounting holes for the worm gear for my jig. I will send you pics of what I came up with when I get it all figured out and do my test cover. My thoughts are that the 2 mounting holes for the worm gear and hence the worm gear "should be" properly aligned with the bushing and seal. I realize there is probably going to be some deviation but probably not any more than the OEM setup. Those are my thoughts anyway, if it proves not to be the case then I will have to re-think it and find another solution.

I was finding off-center dimple marks on the worm adjuster screw, but the worm wobbles around a bit in the worm body. So, precise alignment isn't really possible with the worm screw, hence the reason to square-off (not dimple) the adjuster tip. Also the reason I decided to bypass any sidecover alignment checks...

The worm body, however, may be concentric...

Hey Ippy--- I think your offer to provide partial/complete Aprilia hyd. clutch set ups is a great idea. I for one would be interested in getting this done. Thanks for working on this project. tim

Back