Here goes nothing

Thank you for the compliments and kind words everyone.

Using the trick from retiredgentleman, I laid the engine down on its nose and got the cylinders on. I would recommend this to anyone who is rebuilding their engine. I was able to easily move the cylinders down the studs and maneuver the cam chain, tensioner, and rod ends with ease. If I had done it the way I was planning I would've been fighting against the weight of the cylinders the whole time and it would've been much more difficult. I also slid the head down the same way.

0330141040_zps86cd2539.jpg

Moved the rods up into the pistons, pushed the pins in and installed the circlips.

0330141056a_zps4f9a2790.jpg

0330141110_zpsfd80070b.jpg

I went ahead and put the head cover, tappet covers and carbs on just as a mock up.

0330141201_zpsc1821e38.jpg

dc66979e-d997-4d27-b68f-28b112a05e54_zpsd1af6091.jpg

89bf081a-e75f-4e1a-9fba-5d65391fe880_zps2e777f78.jpg

b3233b34-0c30-4f12-ac1f-6ee08bae2138_zps59ea66f1.jpg

ba220db7-3530-4c3b-a478-bec43a749805_zpsa06cb0e6.jpg

0330141242_zps1fa21cf4.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out and how the colors compliment each other. I still need to get the cam in,seal the head cover and torque it all down, I just wanted to see it all mocked up. Makes all the hard work worth it.

Last edited:
Brilliant work - but I am on tenter hooks worrying about some stray bits dropping down the spark plug holes. That would be a pain. Stick some plugs in. I've got children, and the boys are very helpful... hmmm!

ANLAF

Brilliant work - but I am on tenter hooks worrying about some stray bits dropping down the spark plug holes. That would be a pain. Stick some plugs in. I've got children, and the boys are very helpful... hmmm!

ANLAF

I hear you ANLAF, after the mock up and photo session all holes were plugged and engine was covered with a trash bag :thumbsup:

ANLAF

I have to ask...what are "tenter hooks" ??
:wtf:

The big hooks butchers use to hang big pieces of meat. Double hooks (like a figure-of-eight) skewered into the meat one side and hooked over a rail by the other (it doesn't matter which side, both are pointed). The phrase has come to mean waiting or watching on helplessly.

ANLAF

Does anyone know if the acorn nuts used on the cases and head actually serve a purpose or was it just Yamaha's way of trying to make the engine look good? I prefer regular nuts and would like to replace them if possible.

In response to your question regarding the Acorn nuts. On just about every XS650 motor I have had my hands on the Acorn nuts on the bottom of the crankcase have been beat up pretty good. I would think that the lower Acorn nuts provide at least a little protection for the studs in case of unexpected impact with something. I would leave the ones on the bottom of the engine as Acorn nuts. If you do decide to change the others out you would want to go with a standard nut because the Nylok nuts could affect the torque readings.

The acorns protect all the threads. Open studs would weather worse? The rust ring from having water at the seam of the stud and nut wouldn't be good.
Anlaf the nylok would increase the tension/drag giving you a false high.

pwizl if you do go with an alternate I would be interested acquiring in the lower case acorns.

Back