Here goes nothing

The acorns protect all the threads. Open studs would weather worse? The rust ring from having water at the seam of the stud and nut wouldn't be good.
Anlaf the nylok would increase the tension/drag giving you a false high.

pwizl if you do go with an alternate I would be interested acquiring in the lower case acorns.

Well I don't want rust or damaged studs...I'll just keep em on then.

pwizl, I see your oil filler cap is at five-to, twenty-five past. Put a gasket on there and it should line-up quarter to three.

ANLAF

Is that just for aesthetics? It has a gasket on there, it's the old one

Things have slowed down a bit after the engine build, fabrication on the frame will begin shortly. Rims and hubs are at the powder coater and I need them back, laced up with tires on, so I can work on the rear sub frame for the seat and suspension.

Tonight I broke down the forks, I'll have the lowers powder coated and replace the seals

0402141644_zps6c3ce2ea.jpg

0402141650_zps58e264ef.jpg

These are the tires I'll be running, Kenda K761. I love dual sport tires, both the look and the functionality and Kenda had them available in 21" front and 19" rear.

0402141821b_zps4b9ad54c.jpg

The big brown truck dropped this off today. It's from a Triumph Daytona 675, the thing is a beauty, all stainless, beautiful welds with multiple brackets for mounting. I also love the three pipes look. I want to use but it may not be able to, we'll see. Got it for a steal on EBay for $40 so I couldn't pass it up.

0402141825_zps2f0cdd81.jpg

0402141822_zps1abacfa4.jpg

0402141823b_zpsc37ddfbb.jpg

Last edited:
hey pwizl while your fork are apart can you measure the OD of the damnping rod im gonna try and make my own lowering slugs

So there's 2 powder coaters in town and they're both running 2-3 weeks behind and I have stuff at both of them :banghead: . I really need my rear wheel to get done so I can lace it up and start mocking up the rear end, until then I'm kind of at a standstill. To keep busy and give myself some sense of progress I've just been cleaning and blasting little bits and pieces and finalizing some small design ideas. I did manage to pick up a steal on EBay, an entire dual disc brake set up from an FZR 600 for $27! I was pretty stoked about that.

frontbrakes_zps1eb794f4.jpg

Also waiting on an order from McMaster Carr and a seat hoop to show up. To keep myself busy I'll go get some scrap metal and practice my welds and just keep doing the little things until I can get stuff back from powder and move forward. It's hard to wait and frustrating, want to get going on the bike!!

Not planning to, couldn't pass up the deal though. I saw single discs that were going for more than I paid for the whole enchilada.

Hi pwizl,
put 'em both on, m/c and all, they're already paid for, eh?
Then your XS650 will look like every other XS650 in the world except for the single disk ones the stylists pawned off to North America.

Still waiting for parts from powder, hopefully by the end of the week so I can keep going...very frustrating!!

I've been keeping busy with doing little things and ordering some parts and pieces for the bike and for fab. Hopefully will be burning in some welds this weekend.
Still going back and forth on the tank so I'm going to ask for opinions. The first choice was an RD400 tank but the thing is just massive, I love the shape but I'm not sure it will fit on this bike and I don't want to cut it up.

0403141729c_zpsbf0517e4.jpg

Got a new addition to the shop, two friends and I went in on a Miller Millermatic 140. We all have projects but were too cheap to buy our own welder, we all live close and it's small enough to switch locations with ease. One friend has a large pole building/shop that it will live at most of the time but for now it's in my garage :rock:

welder_zps9987b11a.jpg

Also bought another tank

yamahatank1_zps2f5f3ebe.jpg

Last edited:
nice man, now the danger begins! i know you decided on a tank, but if you have time could you mount the kawasaki tank on the frame and post it. just for shits. i dig that one.

nice man, now the danger begins! i know you decided on a tank, but if you have time could you mount the kawasaki tank on the frame and post it. just for shits. i dig that one.

Wish I could but I don't have that one. I was looking at the Kawasaki and the Yamaha, the one I bought, on E Bay. The Kawa is off of a 71-72 H1 500 MACH III, after 72 they change shape.

This was my weekend project..

Found a place on the cover that fit design wise and kept everything functional, laid it out with a ruler and a french curve, cut it out with a dremal cut off wheel and filed it to the lay out lines. Think it turned out pretty good

0420141555a_zpsf0c680c6.jpg

0420141555b_zps33151c4f.jpg

I had some thin perforated sheet that I cut a piece off, traced the opening, then bent it with pliers cutting and re-bending some tabs for install. I made the tabs so the pieces would sit a little proud in the openings. After some trial and error I was able to get the cuts and bends right, so now I can do the finished pieces and decide on a color.

0420141556a_zpscceba406.jpg

0420141556b_zps0f670647.jpg

0420141558_zpsc0a790bd.jpg

0420141558a_zpsc9f97104.jpg

Back