HF tubing notcher

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Hello, gents, (and a couple missus').
A couple months ago I bought a Harbor Frieghf Tubing notcher. When I got it home, I tried to put it on my tabletop drill press which was also purchased at HF.
Unfortunately, there wasnt enuf room in the press to fit the notcher, so, under the bench the notcher went.
Yesterday, the mrs. and I got into a difference of opinion, so I locked myself in my garage. Puttering around, and ran out of junk to put away, I decided to get out the notcher, and see whats up.
I first took the power unit off the pipe of the drill press, extented it 1ft with longer pipe. put it back together after squaring it back up, then atached the notcher to the base.
It must be put on backwarks ,IE, the pipe clamp will face away from you so the press and the notcher line up so nothing binds..
So I put a peice of very thin stainless pipe in the notcher with the appropriate blu-mol hole saw, and went at it. I also tried with a 1/8 wall tubing
Must have one hand on the power button, and one on the press handle. Couldnt press too hard, or the press would jam. So very lightly, I start cutting, and notice the clamp of the notcher isnt exactly perpendicular to the holesaw, off-center. There are no adjustments other than 90* down to 35*.
It dosnt line up, the "bearing" part of the notcher is a brass maybe bronze bushing that what ever the hell the chinese call a lubricant quickly overheats, and gums up, so I squirted tool oil in it, worked better, but what a waste of effort.
Im pretty sure I could make one better, or fix this one, but just so you guys know, don't buy one and assume you will build a frame with it.. Cuz you won't.

I have an older version with a steel frame that I use for building roll cages. I had to soak the bronze bushings in motor oil before using it, and managed to bend it once (!) but after it was straightened it worked fine again. I clamp mine in a bench vise and use a 1/2" drill with the second handle attached to run it.

yeah. i was going to try my bd hand drill on it, but its 3/8 chuck.
oh well, at least i can put taller stuff in my press now.

Last edited:
All is not lost. Go on you tube and look up the video on how to fix ur harbor freight notcher. With a couple of very easy fixes it will be good to go.

oh, wow! thanx, visimpact! Ive got some very thin washers I can use. Maybe this P.O.S. is only a P.O.J.(junk)
I will fix tomorow and report back.
love this guys accent!!! DA bears!
heres the link for you guys that need it.

That guy makes some really good videos. He shows some other Hf products that are half decent for the price. Good luck with the fix.

I've had my HF notcher for probably 10 years. Still works OK, not great but it gets the job done.

Back