HHB rotor not spinning

Trizz5253

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I took my 77 got the first ride/walk and the bike was running terrible. I noticed when we did the pma swap noone tightened down the timing plate screws. So I was figuring it was atiming issue but when I went to kick it tonight the rotor want turning with the motor? Any idea why they would spin together? Thanks

On the PMA the rotor has to turn with the engine, if it doesn't then you have it installed wrong some how. And it won't charge either.
If you have a Pamco ignition the rotor has to turn with the cam. If not then it won't run.
Leo

The bike ran before so that's what I don't understand. all I did was take the center but off and then just reinstalled it. I just can't seem to figure it out.

I just installed mine on my 277 project. Considering you said something about loose screws, and the rotor not spinning, I would disassemble all of it, and go back with everything following Hughs write up closely. He makes it very easy to follow, and it all makes sense. Take your time, use locktite where he suggests, and when you put the rotor on the tapered shaft make sure it is clean and dry, as well as the female taper on the rotor itself. Cleaning the taper will help ensure it doesn't spin once you get it running again. Some people are using a modified woodruff key in there to guarantee it doesn't slip.
Hope that helps

seems like you may have overtightened the mag rotor. or over tightened the mounting plate the holds the alt and in which case would bend and warp it causing the rotor to hit the plate. also make sure the keyway is not in, it is not called for with the hhb pma

Loose ignition timing plate + riding + terrible running = Seized pistons

Loose PMA base plate + riding + terrible running = fried PMA stator + Locked up PMA

Moral of the story is I'm a complete dipshit. I wasn't tightening the center bolt enough cause I didn't wasn't to over tighten it. Now its on to the timing.

Back