Hi guys a couple of question for the well informed

wymondham1979

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys a couple of question for the well informed

I would like to wear my old motocross boots they are the large toe cap and virtally no ankle movement I fell off my kettle many many years ago and was wearing state of the art boots at the time like thin leather slippers LOL so I have a little metal pin reminder that some people that drive can't see bikes. I and have found the boots give a bit of extra support kickstarting her

I would need to modify my gear shift lever does anyone know the spine size ?and is it a standard general size for Yamahas?honda ect and longer alternatives ? I thought to buy one on fleabay and weld a sort of arc and extend it to retain the same angle at the casing to the position in the picture any suggestions welcomed

Question two: my side stand has suddenly developed a mind of its own and thinks its electric and retracts itself automatically, when I get the bike sort of straight

You might think this a good idea but it has given me a few slight "intake of breath moments "LOL I do kick the bike with the side stand out for some support I'm wondering if I have bent it somehow ?

the chap that sold me the bike seems to of have a memory retention problem as he forgot to put all the parts back after he had done his version of a service or repair does it look in the pictures correctly assemble with all parts present ?

It seems like I fix one problem then another appears it's like the bike is determined there should always be at least one job pending, I put on the new clutch worm yesterday "thanks for the help"and had a great ride around the county lanes of Norfolk . Shoulder deep in grease ,bike in bits all forgotten now "I just love this bike!!!"

My girlfriend is now starting to display a few little signs of jealousy as I'm always in the garage LOL I did take her on the bike to see if she would like it tying to introduce her to the pleasures of motorcycling, but said it was a loud fast vibrating thing that felt dangerous

I rest my case LOL
thanks

Attachments

• DSC00058.JPG
    DSC00058.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 117
on your kickstand your spring is not the same spring as mine. my hooks come from opposite sides yours come from the same side. maybe if you turn it over so the hooks come from the front insted from the back it just might do the trick.:shrug:

Hi I am Carbon
Quote " if you turn it over so the hooks come from the front insted from the back it just might do the trick."

thanks i will try that "is that changing the top or bottom hook?

as to the "jd750ace" responce
(My wife said the same thing about a "personal item" we were looking at in a store late one night, but we still brought it home):laugh:
perhaps i should buy her one so we both have "loud fast vibrating things that feel dangerous
LOL
Ps does anyone have a picture of how the side stand parts assembled should look as in the manual its a little hard to see ?
thanks
guys

Getting another shift lever to mod is a good idea. That way if the mod fails you still have one.
Leo

The piece with the grooved pin needs to be pointed down. The spring hooks on the groove in it not the locking tab. Like the drive sprocket, pivot bolt nut, sprocket or brake rotor there should be a tab on it that is bent to the flats of the bolt to keep it from backing out.
Disassembled you install the stand then the pin piece(hook side stand according to the schematic) with the pin on the downside, then the chrome washer, then the locking tab and the bolt. Tighten and bend tab over to the flats. You might take the time to install a grease zert while doing this. A loose bolt will cause it to retract on its own along with falling down to scrap the pavement on left turns and that may be all the problem you have. But the spring pin should be on the down side.

Hi guys thanks weekendrider excuse the pictures my brain stumbles after the first two maneuvers

So the spring hooks over from the back as it is now but in the slot marked with the A arrow?

And the spring is back to front at the bottom marked with the B arrow? Is this correct

It seems crazy to me I followed the cam adjustment ,new points,valve lash new brake pads etc all no problem thanks to the info on this forum and possibly the simplest thing on the bike has me completely bamboozled LOL

One day I get on the bike the stand works fine next day it's retracting itself!!!!

Many thanks for your patience

Attachments

• New Microsoft Office Publisher Document.jpg
    New Microsoft Office Publisher Document.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 107
Hi I am Carbon ,thanks i,ve taken it apart and now see how it works !!!!
Now it seems ridiculously simple LOL there is a lot of movement so i think i will add a shim or weld on a thicker foot as the bike on the side stand is at allmost a Rossi lean angle LOL

Attachments

• big_valentinorossi13.jpg
    big_valentinorossi13.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 104
Back