Hit and Miss Motor

I have a buddy who's into old engines, tractors etc. He has a Le Roi stationary engine which has 'atmospheric' intake valves, there is an exhaust cam but no intake. The intake valve has a very light spring so as the piston travels down in the cylinder and creates a vacuum the valve will open, air gets sucked through the carburetor and then everything else happens normally. Sounds like a popcorn popper. :laugh:

Have you ever gone out to Rough and Tumble? There's usually some hit or miss engines at the shows, along with some great steam traction engines, stationary steam engines, antique Cats, John Deeres out the wazoo, and even some old kerosene Rumleys. It's a great place to learn the old skills, they do a blacksmithing class, a steam school, and everywhere you turn, there is someone who wants to pass on some knowledge, so it doesn't get lost. I did their steam school when I was 16, it definitely cemented the love of antique machinery in me.

My bud's Le Roi has a Bosch magneto, I was there the night his smart aleck know it all 22 y/o son learned that low RPM mags will bite hard. :laugh:

The Maytag has a Bosch ignition system and coil. Actually an "American Bosch". Nothing like a magneto though, lol.

Halloweenie, I've never been to that one. I've been to quite a few though. I love going to old trade get togethers and learning them, preserving the old. On a side note, I am a trained farrier and have taken many a blacksmith course. A number of my clients ask if I will make hand made shoes for their horses. I am quite capable, but then they find out how much time it takes. It costs a little more too. Certified Journeyman Farrier (CFJ) practical portion of the test is 4 hand-mades, set on the horse, in 2 hours. It ain't easy.

Here's a Hot Rod Model 72, the two cylinder.
It is quite common for folks to sit and just watch their engines run. I do it, so do my friends. So what?. LOL

I go to an annual steam and engine show in Rice Lake WI, called Hungry Hollow. I love those old Hit and Miss engines, it is fun just to watch them run.

A Mennonite family is there every saturday selling ice cream made on site using a hit and miss motor to run the ice cream maker.

I'm also really into steam engines, took a class a few years ago and got to operate some of the old steam tractors, just love that stuff.

Been going to the Badger steam and gas show for decades now.

28566_104094166302922_7707772_n.jpg

Got a buddy runs in the modified chainsaw competitions.
race saw. 1960 McCulloch 250 with a 1974 MC92 McCulloch racing go-kart engine. Makes about 15hp. Here's a link to a youtube video of him running this saw.
He wins more than not. Talk about a handful!!

That is a great thing about the old stuff, the exhibitors really want to talk about and show off their stuff.

The old engines are just neat to run. So simple and fun.

My uncle got a degree in logging during the '70s. So, of course, he has all these old chainsaws. One is from probably the '20s or something. It is nasty boy!!! Big, heavy, loud and looks dangerous just sitting there.

I also have a picture of my father, at age 10, holding the bar handle while my grandfather cuts. If you are unfamiliar with a bar handle then imagine a handle, at the end of the bar, to help lift it up as someone operates the engine end 'cuz it is so long. Talk about deadly.

Only antique motor I would like is the little steam engine I had when I was about 10. It was about as big as a 20 oz bottle. Put in some water and a chunk of sterno and fire that mother up. Take some of the dryness out of this air too.

2 man chainsaws like littlebill mentioned.

4236502.jpg

Dscf0009.jpg

I barely remember my dad and one of his friends using one. Damn deadly looking thing.

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!! The bottom one with the dual handles. I'll have to find the pic of my father and post it.
He told me that the hired hand (my family is all farmers) told him that a chain came off once and almost killed him while he was on the front.

Yes. Last steam and gas show I watched a man and his 10 year old son cut logs with one of those, not even a helmet on the kid. I wouldn't let a boy take that position. God knows how many decades old that chain was. If it let go it could easily come around and cut someone like a holiday turkey.

lilbil posted just before I hit post, see what I mean!

KOOL thanks for the memories. One of my first mechanical forays was an old maytag motor. I think the old man got it to keep my paws out of his working equipment.

My grandmother mentioned having the washing machine on the porch more than once when I was a kid. It seemed really strange until I discovered there were these gas powered ones. I gotta admit, the last thing you'd want in the house was a old two smoker running for 30 minutes.

A while back my wife asked me to explain the whole Maytag gas powered washer. I told her all about them and then she realized that having a washing machine on your front porch was not uncommon. I said, "yes, but that doesn't mean it's ok to have an electric one just sitting out there"., lol

Back