holes in bottom engine case?

mikdnc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some advice on the engine case. I finally disassembled everything, ready to send off parts to be blasted when I saw two holes that clearly weren't made by a machine. They seem to go into a passage that is contained and already connected to the rest of the engine, meaning the oil would be flowing there anyway. Many years ago a piston blew in this engine, I am assuming this happened as a result, I found a bunch of metal shavings while cleaning everything out. I already had my cylinders bored, i have a new 750 piston kit, crank/cam rephased, so i am obviously itching to get this back together. Should i find a new bottom crank case on ebay or here? Anyone have any experience with this or ideas with added power/pressure if the holes could enlarge? Thanks in advance for help/advice

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 255
I had to go out and look at the set of 82 cases I have. There are two holes in that area on those cases. Probing with a wire they don't seem to go anywhere They just may be from machining the hole for the post that holds the starter gears.
I wouldn't worry about them.
One more thing. The cases as well as the head and rocker box are machined as sets. The cases are marked with a 4 digit number on the out side of the case just above where the shift shaft comes through.
The head and rocker box are marked on the front between the exhaust ports.
They should be kept together.
Leo

Thanks for the heads up Leo. I want to keep everything together, matching engine/frame. Didn't realize each part of the engine had a matching number though. I will proceed with cleaning everything up and getting this engine back together...maybe do a build thread as I try to figure out what I want the bike to look like.

Back