Home made gaskets? Yes or No!

rockslide

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
In spirit of saving money and time I've decided to try making my own gaskets out of Felpro gasket material (gas/oil gasket roll). Does it work? Is it worth it? Will it leak causing more frustration than it's worth? What is your experience on this?

full

I've done it before in a pinch. It depends on the pattern of the gasket but generally it's a pain in the ass to cut out if the pattern is very convoluted. It will work, but I would not use it on anything that has a critical thickness requirement, ie base gasket, head gasket, etc. If you do decide to use it, a paper hole punch speeds up the process and works pretty good for bolt holes. Personally, gasket kits are cheap and worth the time/effort saved.

The gaskets for these bikes are readily available and not that expensive, so why bother? If you're careful to do a proper install and removal, most can be re-used several times (no sealer, just oil them).

I guess it's worth mentioning in a gasket thread - DO NOT EVER USE SILICONE on your gaskets or alone. That stuff is for know-nothing rookies and just plain asshole P.O.s. Sorry, I just needed to vent, lol.

The gaskets for these bikes are readily available and not that expensive, so why bother? If you're careful to do a proper install and removal, most can be re-used several times (no sealer, just oil them).

I guess it's worth mentioning in a gasket thread - DO NOT EVER USE SILICONE on your gaskets or alone. That stuff is for know-nothing rookies and just plain asshole P.O.s. Sorry, I just needed to vent, lol.

Silicone (RTV) is one of those tools that has a time and a place but gets a bad rap for being used in the wrong application. In a pinch, I've limped home on luck, prayers, and Permatex products when by all rights I should have been stranded. I agree that it shouldn't be used on a proper rebuild but just saying that it's not all bad!

<<trying to upload a pic>>... taking bets ... will it leak or will it hold? After cutting the pattern I GENTLY used a drill to create the bolt holes (thus the wood beneath the oil pan)...

Attachments

• user5239_pic3534_1309227332.jpg
    user5239_pic3534_1309227332.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 96
Use a torque wrench on the pan bolts so they're all tightened equally. That's the best bet for a leak-free install. I do mine @ 80 in/lbs.

Back