homemade carb sync ?

WacoBrian

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
hay ya'll. im making a carb sync tool with a yard stick and tubing. do you pinch the bottom to fold over or let flow thru?

Let it flow...

Here's mine:

carbsync.jpg

Harbor Freight sells a vacuum gauge for less than $12, includes tubing even.

Yeah but the yard stick ones are super sensitive and cheap and you don't have to switch it from side to side.

i got one from harbor frieght it just bounces around.
but wow
thats a big stick. lol .i was going to build mine from a framing square and 1/4in tubing.
thanks travis. first time i seen a pic

Last edited:
Yeah you need a long stick because the fluid moves so much with even the smallest adjustments. It's extremely sensitive. I guess that depends on the size tubing and fluid used though.

probbly true. got a shit load of tools i dont use right

Me too. I'm especially bad with my gardening tools :)

To make a vacuum gauge quit swinging you restrict the air flow to it by using a little clamp like a vice grip on the hose, tighten till it barely quits swinging, or you can put a valve in the hose and turn it open just a hair. The needle will move slow then, so give it 5-10 sec. or so before you take the reading.

I bought gauges long ago, the investment has been worth it to me. The connector between the gauge and hose is typically a valve, you turn it in till the needle is fairly steady but not so far that it is locked.
To a boy with a hammer everything is a nail.

I made my sync tool for about two dollars. $1.79 for the hose, I had the tranny fluid. A scrap piece of board. Clear packing tape. Voila, a manometer.
Some folks put a pair of small pilot jets in the hose to slow down the fluctuations.

Okay REALLY Noob question. I have never used a vacuum gage and am planning to build one like in the picture above. Does it matter how much tranny fluid I put in the tube? Where do I hook it up to on the carbs? And what do I do after that? lol I am just clueless. I have just always synced by ear but would like to compare the difference in a properly synced carb. Again, sorry, I've never used one.

Travis with the hose above do you connect to both Carbs at the same time or do you just do one carb at a time? I know with the gauges it's better to do both at the same time.

gotta be both carbs at the same time, that's why you can use tranny fluid, one carb would suck all the fluid right out of the tube. We don't care what the absolute number is just how the two compare. It takes a about 34 feet of water to balance a vacuum, tranny fluid is a bit lighter so it would take a 30 or 40 foot column to have a "one sided" vacuum gauge! Even extremely heavy mercury requires a 30 inch column more or less and you will recognise 30" as barometric pressure reading from your weatherman.

A vacuum gauge is not as accurate as the simple and inexpensive manometer. A vacuum gauge is a coarse measuring device, while a manometer is a fine measuring device.

I worked for 29 years in power plants. Whenever there was a need for a visual indication of differencial pressure ( in low pressure devices) , a manometer was used.

Back