homemade carb sync ?

One of the oddball tools for a XS650 that I already had to sync my V-Star 1100 carbs. Yard stick, tubing, zip ties, and 2-cycle oil. Can't get much simpler! :thumbsup:

Kent

I found with my homemade sync tool that inserting a main jet inside each side of the tool is a must.
Slows down the fluid from jumping around,but makes the tool react a but slower to changes so go slow and easy on adjustments and wait.
And always have a fan on the motor for cooling purposes if idling too long to prevent overheating.

Ah good tip about the fan.. I always have my shop fan sitting in front of the bike when playing with the carbs.

alright, im trying to make this thing... how much tubing and where in the heck do you put the two pieces of tubing once you get the fluid in the tubing?

about 12' of 3/16" i.d. clear hose. Attach them to the vacuum barbs on the carb holders or the ports or barbs on the carb bodies.

Then you should have the barbs that feed the vacuum petcocks on the intake spigots use those for your manometer. You can turn the petcocks to prime to get fuel flow.

How full? And what fluid would do the least damage to the motor if one hose somehow disconnected and sucked all the fluid in? ATF of 2 cycle oil?

Posted via Mobile

I went half way up the yard stick with 2 stroke oil. Keep a finger on the kill switch if it sucks to hard one way.

I used just a stick of wood. about 3 feet long. The fluid you use won't matter much. Something with a dark or bright color, easy to see. I used ATF, 2 stroke oil is fine. Even anti feeze will work. If it does get sucked into the engine it will just blow through and out the exhaust.
Fill the hose so the fluid comes up about a foot to a foot and a half.
Hook the hose up, start the engine, if it shoots up one side, shut it down, turn the sync screw one way about 1/8 turn. Restart the engine, If it shoots up faster you turned the screw the wrong way, try the other way. If it holds ok then adust the screw to get the level even.
Leo

Let it flow...

Here's mine:

carbsync.jpg

I purchased 2 packages of 5/16 outside diameter / 3/16 inside diameter clear plastic tubing 10 feet long and used the yardstick as the holder for one 10 foot piece looped like Travis shows here. The other 10 foot section is cut in two and is then connected to each side of the manometer and each carburetor vacuum barb. Anything to connect hose to hose will do, even a larger piece of hose over each or a piece of hard tubing. To stop the flutter I found 150 main jets I had laying around are working just fine, these are placed in the 5 foot hoses where I have each connected to the manometer hoses. That way they are half way between the engine and the manometer. Fluid is VBA two stroke mixing oil we use in race bikes and it has a good viscosity. After connecting to the carb barbs I hang the assembly as high as possible so the tubing is say 8' high before it turns down to the carbs. This way a spike in vacuum will not get too much oil into the engine. Using VBA is very safe for you engine by the way, other fluids might not be. Any oil would be okay really as they would not hurt anything other than create smoke. I have 16" of fluid in my system which is probably 200cc or less of oil. It is so fine that 1/64 turn on a screw makes as much as 1" of fluid level change. I never had a mercury gauge work anywhere near that good. And plain vacuum gauges are just crude in comparison. Best home made tool I have.

Last edited:
Back