Honda CR rear wheel modified fos xs650

Reaction score
I wanted a rear spoke and disc brake for my street tracker. Flat track wheels are over $1K, so I modified a Honda CR rear wheel. Sprocket side was fairly easy, bought a solid sprocket (ebay) and machined out the center and drilled new holes. I used an RD400 front disc (ebay) which unbolts from it's hub. I made a new hub/adapter for the disc. Only issue was the bolts heads for the bolts used to attach the disc to the hub won't clear the disc mounting bracket unless a relief is made in the bracket. I also had to make new spacers. The CR wheel is common, fits multiple models for over a decade. I wanted stainless spokes so I bought from Buchanan. Note numer of spokes is 32, the front will be 36. Just a heads up did not matter to me.

Cool. I would love to see a pic of it sometime. I have been thinking of building an XS dual sport using a YZ-250 suspension someday.

See Attached Pictures

Attachments

• IMG-20120619-00138.jpg
    IMG-20120619-00138.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG-20120619-00139.jpg
    IMG-20120619-00139.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG-20120619-00137.jpg
    IMG-20120619-00137.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 225
you should make a kit and sell it. it seems like once a week someone is asking about a rear disc spoke wheel.

it seems like once a week someone is asking about a rear disc spoke wheel.

I think that's because nobody has found one without trade-offs yet. That sprocket looks to be at least 36 teeth, which is the same draw back all these dirt bike swaps have. If you like having your bike rev higher than stock while cruising then you're set, but most of us are trying to go the other way and gear for lower than stock revs so we're still looking and asking.

I think that's because nobody has found one without trade-offs yet. That sprocket looks to be at least 36 teeth, which is the same draw back all these dirt bike swaps have. If you like having your bike rev higher than stock while cruising then you're set, but most of us are trying to go the other way and gear for lower than stock revs so we're still looking and asking.

Add a tooth or two on the countershaft sprocket...

You can only go up one I think, and you need to remove the guard around the shift shaft just to fit that. 18/36 is the same as 17/34 though, so if the back is 36 you can get the same revs as stock by doing that, but you can't go lower than stock like most of us want, and many of these wheels have more than 36 teeth. If someone finds a hub like this that can run a 32 tooth sprocket I'll buy them a beer.

What are you using for a front wheel? I would love to ditch my mags I hate them but want to keep disk breaks.

I think it was 39, you could probably go to a 37 without the chain hitting the hub mounting for the sprocket bolts. I use a 39 because it was cheap on ebay.

Back