Horn and turn signals not working

j_romig

j_romig
Reaction score
I know nothing about electrical on my xs. My horn and turn signals are not working. Any ideas on what it could be and how to fix it? Thanks for the help

j_romig;

I'm guessing you have a 78 or 79 special or 80 to 84 years. These bikes had 4 fuses, one of which powers the turn signals, horn and brake light. Its a 10 amp fuse with brown wire on both sides of it. The fuse may have blown, or the clips may be badly oxidized causing high resistance. Clips get weak and fall apart.

When you ask questions it best if you state the year and model, otherwise we're just playing guessing games.

so if its just my turn signals that aren't working at all odds are its in the switch box then? any other places i should look if its not that? horn on my 81 special works fine. ... it just went out a few days ago... the indicator light was dim for a minute then it worked then nothing after that instance
... also sorry i keep editing this but what exactly am i looking for in the turn signal box... loose solder joints i get but will they be obvious?

Last edited:
ok yeah its in the box somewhere.... was playing with it off the bar for a minute and turned the key on and it works intermittently... kind of a complicated little mechanism for the simple thing it does.

Posted via Mobile

Id try the easy thigs first. Fuses. Then take apart the switch housing, if needed.

yeah its totally one of those little solder buttons on the turn signal switch assembly.... hopefully i can solder it back on without melting the plastic too much.... what a PITA, kinda like my turn signals though... safety and all.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 175
Hi retiredgentleman ! I have looked extensively over the site and cant find any information on removing the indicators. I am beginning a tear down on a stock 75 XS650 B would you know if there is a way to remove them without having to snip the feed wires to the bulbs ? Thanks in advance for your help

Yep, unplug the wires, remove the nut and washers and they come right out.
Leo

Back