Hot Weather

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just moved from northern Illinois to Nashville and obviously it is much hotter in Nashville. Just wanted to make that my 81 xs650 is going to be okay when the temperatures are around 100. I have a commute thats only about 25 minutes with a lot of stop and go. So my question is are these bikes okay in the heat and are there any recommendations that I should do to make sure nothing breaks.

Thank you in advanced.

I live in Bakersfield Ca. where summers can reach 115. 100 is nothing and I do ride year round. There are also members in Arizona where it is even hotter. If your bike is in tune you should be fine.

If your worried, you can always add an oil cooler. Mine drops engine and oil temps about 45-50 degrees.
Leo

which oil cooler do you have, leo? the round one with the Honda filter in it? or a plumbed in lines with a little radiator? 5twins and you put up so many fotos its hard to remember wich picture is a reference pic, or a pic of your bikes.

I have the radiator type. It came off an 82 Seca XJ650 turbo.
On the Seca an adapter mounted between the oil filter mount and oil filter. The adapter had lines that ran up to the cooler.
They used similar coolers on a lot of the 4 cylinder engines.
It is about the same size as the one Mike's sells.
They can be found on Ebay.
I used what I had.
The lines on the bike threaded onto the outside of the fittings on the cooler. I threaded the inside to put 3/8 barbs in the cooler to plumb lines to the side cover. One in the pressure side passages in the cover and a return to the oil filter cover.
I still use both stock filters.
I have a sump plate adapted to use a spin filter. I have an adapter for a 3/4 by 16 thread oil filter I can plumb in.
I don't use them because filters cost a lot. to change every 1000-1500 miles. The stock ones work fine.
I posted pics in the Oil Cooler thread.
Leo

I am one of those Arizona members and I do wonder if that's why the xs seems pretty scarce here in this state. I really don't get much enjoyment riding here this time of year anyway. I have added a thermometer dip stick. They must have invented oil coolers because of Arizona. I happen to be outside right now and it's miserable.

I lived in Alamogordo, New Mexico, for 11 years. I can understand your problem. I had an XS650 then. Lots of days too hot. During the day I stayed inside and rode very late in the day and into the night.
The bike handled the heat much better than I did.
Leo

I used to live in Okla. It got hot there to but once the sun went down it might drop 25 degrees. At least u got a little break. However, here in Phoenix it stays hot all night long and for days on end. I am just the opposite from guys elsewhere. I use summer for rebuilding and garage time and winters we ride.

People come out here all the time from all over the country. Almost daily people are hauled off camelbackack mountain via helicopter. They are totally unaware of this climate and take off on a hike with a small bottle of water. Some aren't so lucky to get back alive.

Same here in Tucson. Record high temp is 117f around the early 1990s. Up in Las Vegas and Laughlin area it gets to 120+. I rode a '60 BMW w/ sidecar back in the early 80's in LV and it was like riding around in an oven. Even at midnight it would be 100F. At least at night it didn't feel near as bad as the day. I'm thinking of adding an oil cooler to the SG.

I hear ya. I just suffer through these summers the best I can. Winter time is great in Arizona. I heard one day they had to shut down Sky Harbor Airport because it reached 120+. I'm no pilot but I guess it begins to affect the lift or something with an aircraft. I think its because the air is less dense requiring a great speed for liftoff and a longer runway to achieve this.
jefft

Last edited:
High heat like that really sucks the horsepower down, doesn't do the wings any favors. Conditions like that could make your required takeoff run longer than the runway available.

They use a measurement called 'Density Altitude', which is a way of comparing the local conditions to a 'standard' atmosphere. If you take a 100* day in Denver, the density altitude may measure higher than 12,000', even though the plane is at a 5,000' elevation. Because of the heat, the plane will perform as if it was at 12,000'. Thinner atmosphere, less power, etc.
On the flip side, a cold day in Minneapolis (close to -40*) might show a density altitude of -4,500'. I have a buddy that throws bags at the airport. He says days like that those big smokers are pulling a 35* climb by the time they're halfway down the runway. Cold, dense air makes a LOT of power and a whole bunch of lift.

Clear as mud? ;-)

(end tangent)

Back