how big is too big?

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i have 77 bs38 stock jets are 25 pilots 122.5 main jet. anyways i have uni filters and two into two exhaust with baffles witch seems pretty free flowing to me well right now im at a 30 pilot witch has stopped my carb hiccups at 1/4 throttle im at a 137.5 on the main jet with the needle leaned one step the bike runs good idles good but im wondering if i should up the main some more plugs are pretty white but i was reading of some people upping there main too high and it was washing the oil off there cylinder walls and causing problems whats the biggest main people have in there 76-77 carbs? thanx in advance

When reading your plugs, what you should be looking at is the "smoke" or "mixture" ring. It's a ring of color around the porcelain and should be down near the bottom, extending maybe 1/4 of the way up. If it extends up covering 1/2 or more of the porcelain, you're running rich.

SmokeRing.jpg

i have 77 bs38 stock jets are 25 pilots 122.5 main jet. anyways i have uni filters and two into two exhaust with baffles witch seems pretty free flowing to me well right now im at a 30 pilot witch has stopped my carb hiccups at 1/4 throttle im at a 137.5 on the main jet with the needle leaned one step the bike runs good idles good but im wondering if i should up the main some more plugs are pretty white but i was reading of some people upping there main too high and it was washing the oil off there cylinder walls and causing problems whats the biggest main people have in there 76-77 carbs? thanx in advance

I too have '77D with 2 into 1 exhaust and Emgo filters. I use 27.5 pilots, 135 mains and needle in stock position, I'm at sea level. Runs great! Seems there will always be slight variations on carb set-up.

Back