How do I polish this part?

GreasyC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just buffing this hub up before I respoke it but I'm not getting anywhere with this middle part. Any tips? The wheel I'm using only gets the tops of those fins, I can't get between them.

JJSXi.jpg

Last edited:
You can take the hub to a machine shop and have those cross molds cut out ? Plus they colud clean your hub up . Or you could paint ? They make sisle polishing wheels in all widths check out eastwood.com . There is nothing easy about polishing it sucks !

I only polish the outside flanges. I soda or bead blast that inner ribbed area.

I leave it as is. I don't like what I see all the time with the original clear coat. It chips then corrosion starts and grows under the remaining clear coat. You can't clean it off without stripping the clear coat off 1st. Once cleaned and polished, I just hit the parts with Mothers a couple times a season to maintain them. I also wax them, that helps protect them some.

Alright, thanks guys. I don't have a sandblaster at home but I might take it over to the u-blast this week. Or I might just do what I can here and move on with rebuilding the wheel. I like how the sides turned out, they're shiny now but they stayed darker than how a fresh blasted surface is. Looks like a clean but very old hub, not a new fresh one so maybe leaving the middle alone fits that.

Consider this - if you polished the center, once the spokes are in you'd never be able to get in there to clean and re-polish it anyway. Best to leave it natural looking.

i fold a piece of sandpaper and get to work. fingers and arm are gonna be sore but all my polishing is hand done. you dont get popeye forearms from using a machine :)

Maybe paint it black, then repolish? Or silver/aluminium paint?

Posted via Mobile

I polished the outer of both front and rear hubs, powder coated the centres then used stainless spokes. Was pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

• DSCF2911.jpg
    DSCF2911.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF2910.jpg
    DSCF2910.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 126
Well I spent a couple hours with a wire brush and some folded sandpaper. Looks good enough for me. Once I got the dirt and grime out of there I could see that in half of the channels the casting isn't even smooth at the bottom so it would be quite a project to make it shiny down there.

Back