How do I protect a PAMCO Ignition?

JE4570

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My unit is currently in for warranty repair/ replace. For good measure, I have replaced my coil with one that pete himself used for many years according to an old post.( its a Harley one 31609-80) I cleaned every electrical part with a red/white wire. What can i do to make sure my new unit will not go out again. I have now made sure the fuse in the ignition circuit (red/white wire) is a NEW 7.5 amp fuse. I plan on using good new electrical connectors to install it.

I’m using new plug caps and new plug wires as well as well as fresh spark plugs. My previous ground spot for the black wire off the pamco was where the old coil bolted on to the ignition.

Is that a good enough spot?

I am using the stock charging system and I replaced the brushes today. I cleaned the rectifier connections as well.

What else can I do to make sure it won’t happen again?

Sounds like you've covered all your bases. I have my Pamco grounded in the same spot as yours, to one of the old coil mounting holes. It's been fine for years like that. I didn't have the Pamco fused, other than the bike's main fuse, for the first few years, but eventually I added the suggested 7.5 amp fuse, but on my coil power line. That's what Pete told me he liked to see, the coil fused. Apparently if the coil shorts out, it can feed back through the green wire running to the Pamco and fry it. My Pamco doesn't have it's own individual fuse, it just relies on the bike's main fuse for protection.

Sounds like you've covered all your bases. I have my Pamco grounded in the same spot as yours, to one of the old coil mounting holes. It's been fine for years like that. I didn't have the Pamco fused, other than the bike's main fuse, for the first few years, but eventually I added the suggested 7.5 amp fuse, but on my coil power line. That's what Pete told me he liked to see, the coil fused. Apparently if the coil shorts out, it can feed back through the green wire running to the Pamco and fry it. My Pamco doesn't have it's own individual fuse, it just relies on the bike's main fuse for protection.

Sounds like an easy cheap addition to keep it safe. I’ll add a fuse from the green wire to the coil when I get it back.

No, not on the green wire, on the power wire feeding the coil.

Stock charging system on a '79?
I honestly am not sure. I just meant not a pma but the regulator rectifier looks like a combined unit on the left side of the bike. Idk if it is stock or not?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
That would not be stock on a '79 or older stock charging system. They had separate rectifiers and regulators, not a combined unit. What we really need to see to judge whether the charging system has been changed is the alternator (under the left side cover).

I honestly am not sure. I just meant not a pma but the regulator rectifier looks like a combined unit on the left side of the bike. Idk if it is stock or not?

Thats the old Points model SS combined Reg/Rect that mikesXS used to sell..........Has the odd coloured wiring......

Post #2 has the diagram for wiring that unit............noticed the extra earth wire to the unit.....Green wire should the units earth.........connects to the Black, (earth wire), from the loom............I would be checking the connections to make sure that Points Reg/Rect is wired in properly

http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-in-a-70-79-combined-reg-rect-to-a-points-model-xs650.52339/

That would not be stock on a '79 or older stock charging system. They had separate rectifiers and regulators, not a combined unit. What we really need to see to judge whether the charging system has been changed is the alternator (under the left side cover).

Here is a picture of my charging rotor. Looks old but reads about 3.8 - 4 ohms on the multimeter.

Attachments

• CF8A33F3-F280-460B-B061-66665B5B0720.jpeg
    CF8A33F3-F280-460B-B061-66665B5B0720.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 103
Your pic verifies you have the stock '79 and older style charging system.

I added the suggested 7.5 amp fuse, but on my coil power line. That's what Pete told me he liked to see, the coil fused.
I never measured a fuse, but I always assumed they have a high resistance. If it had the same resistance as your coil, it would cut your coil voltage by half

Yamaha did put a ground wire on the motor, from one of the condenser mounting screws on the upper left motor mount to the motor on the upper right .....

0rdr6xg.jpg

s2P9zro.jpg

I never measured a fuse, but I always assumed they have a high resistance. If it had the same resistance as your coil, it would cut your coil voltage by half
Fuses have no resistance.... 0 ohms. Their job is to pass current unimpeded until the draw exceeds it's rating. Then....pop.

Yamaha did put a ground wire on the motor, from one of the condenser mounting screws on the upper left motor mount to the motor on the upper right .....

0rdr6xg.jpg

s2P9zro.jpg

I guess I’ll make sure this wire is extra clean too.

Clean both the wire ends and the spots they connect to. I also coat the connection with dielectric grease or copper anti-seize.

If it had zero resistance it would never pop :)

A heating element glows cherry red, yet has a very low resistance. The lower the resistance, the higher the current flow.... more heat. The trick is in the low melting point of the fuse element. If resistance was too high, it would never allow enough current through to allow it to melt. You said you never measured a fuse. Well, grab a meter... It'll read pretty close to 0

Back