How do you adjust your stock rear shocks?

Chuck

Useful idiot
Reaction score
I have a 1980 Special. Whats too soft and whats too hard. I am not planning on buying new shocks. I want to adjust my oldies the best for what they are. I weigh 185#.

By all reports, they're nearly worthless as shock absorbers... my first adjustment to them was a garbage can and replacement by the chinese 'Monza Sport' shocks sold by MikesXS.

What can be adjusted with them is the spring preload, you'll have to season that one to suit your weight and the bike. You might need a shock wrench to do that, 650Central and MikesXS both have them.

Hope this helps some.

Whats too soft and whats too hard.

All you can adjust on them is what's called the "sag". That is how much the frame under the seat drops when you sit down on on the bike, versus when there's no weight on it. So the right position of the adjuster depends on your weight. I think the correct sag is about 1 1/2" but look it up and check me on it.

I weigh about 174 lbs, and I just leave mine on the softest setting. Even when I load the bike with an extra 36 lbs of saddlebags and fuel, I leave it on the softest. When I rode bikes back in the 70's and 80's, I also used the softest setting.

DirtyErnie;.........I can't agree with saying the stock shocks are worthless. I find they work just fine for me, and there are plenty of bumps/potholes in the Calgary area.

If the quality of Mikesxs shock's is like a lot of their parts, I'd say they would be a down grade.

If riding with a passenger on the back, it would be worth while to crank the shock spring up a couple of steps.

RG, seemed like a good place to start (board consensus?), since I was upgrading the front as well. Finally got it on the road last weekend, the 'sport' shocks seem to be pretty nice, compliment the cartridge emulators up front real well.

"sag", "preload", same diff... ;-)

Pull the shocks off and check for "shock" action then decide.

Gary, I have tried the check for shock action before. Good luck to me! I could not compress the shocks in any meaningful way to test them. Press with all my weight and strength, nothing happens. I am not light and weak!

I think I will go to the lowest setting. I have them up two notches and they seem harsh. I had them higher than that and I thought I had a hard-tail ha ha.

I am skeptical about the cheap shocks from Mike's as others have said. I am not carving canyons, so the oldies are going to goodies for me.

Yeah it's kind of hard with the springs on em. With the springs off it's obvious.

Are the stock shocks on an XS made by K&B?? Not sure if mine are stock or not, as the bolts look like they've been off at one-time or another. They have K&B stickers on them.

A drill press and a couple of plastic fittings make a great spring remover. I believe RG has a how to thread on here somewhere.

Are the stock shocks on an XS made by K&B?? Not sure if mine are stock or not, as the bolts look like they've been off at one-time or another. They have K&B stickers on them.

I was confused. KYB is a big high end shock company, but these are not KYB, So I guess they are K&B whoever they are... Web search produces nothing.

Back