how do you change tires and tubes? by hand

you guys are right on the tips. i just saw a video up on you tube where a guy used a plastic bag to slide tire on the rim with no spoons , pretty neat trick . i think i will give it a try. yes harbour freight no longer sells the tire changer, but i did pick up the balencer ,34.00, cheaper than i could fab one up .

"how do you change tires and tubes? by hand"

It involves a lot of cursing, sweating and occasional bleeding... As someone else said, find an experienced tire changer to help you the first time around. It's something every rider needs to know so I commend you for wanting to learn.

I talked with 3 local shops where I live,and they all told me the same thing. If they mount a tube,and tire,it's 50-50 they don't pinch the tube. I do it myself most of the time but I had balance issues last summer,and took my rear to a shop. When they gave it back,they said it was unable to be balanced. When I broke it down at home,they had spun the tire on the rim,and balled up the tube inside. It was like having 3 layers of tube in one spot. No wonder it wouldn't balance. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you might not be any better off goung to a shop. Most kids working in the back never saw a tube before.

Just like it's getting hard to find a shop willing to work on these old bikes, it seems the art of changing tubed tires is being lost as well, lol.

Back