How do you test a stator for the banshee swap?

MrBillohnooo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Last year I did the permanant magnet alternator swap. On Friday, my charging system failed. :shrug:
I found a thread on how to test a regulator/rectifier, and it tested ok.

Do you test the stator wires using a volt/ohm meter....each of the three wires unplugged from harness, individually to ground with desired results being verrry little resistance? 2nd test each leg (disconnected from rec/reg) spinning engine with test meter on a/c to test for voltage being produced? (plus side of meter to each stator wire and black to ground)

It is my understanding that if the reg/rectifier tests ok and so does the stator, then a ground or connection somewhere is the most likely problem.

Any help here much appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Bill

you have to test the stator wires using a volt/ohm meter, yes ....each of the three wires unplugged from harness, individually to ground with desired results being verrry little resistance? No, resistence between the wires no resistence puting one wire od the tester to ground, 2nd test each leg (disconnected from rec/reg) spinning engine with test meter on a/c to test for voltage being produced? Yes, you have to read at least 80 volts AC more in some cases

Back