How dumb can you be and still not get run off?

well sundie
I personaly am running points bikes. The ignition points are scarry to those who never dealt with them.
Meh. i ran points for years. Never had an issue with them. the only reason that i moved on from them is that i had a dying coil, and wanted an upgrade there.

I have bought points bikes from people who have ridden there bikes 10,000 miles and more and didn't even know that the bike had points. As for the tci units I use to save them on bikes I parted out, but got sick of listing them on ebay and not selling them. One thing about points that NO electronic ignition can claim is that if your points weird out on you on a ride you can usually get yourself home with them. electronic is dead it is just that. As for the advance It's a mechanical item that needs more maintenance. They will stick, springs will weaken, Its just another spot for STH. Between us I am almost set to try a morris mag off the crankshaft. Yes I know they have there downfalls as well. As far as costs go that is a no brainer If when you replace your stator and rotor do it with a 80 up, then you will always be tci ready. The stator and rotor for a 80 up will work on and fit all year xs's. Where as the pre 80 ones will only work on cam type ignitions. You say electronic is a upgrade to points, why is that? As I pointed out if the electronic dies you better be calling for a truck, If my points close up, or burn up I can file them ,re set them and more then likely get my arse home. As for the advance if you haven't run into problems with them then you haven't worked on enough of them and this is just a spot for argumentativeness.
Well, you're kinda arguing against yourself here. The points you've made are
1 - i like points, they're good (thus i run mechanical advance)
2 - mechanical advance is bad (but i need it to run points)
3 - tci is good (but i don't run it)
4 - i try to sell the tci (even though i've said it's good)
5 - get a newer rotor, so you can go to TCI (but i run points)
6 - if EI dies, you're stuck (which applies to TCI)

Thus, i am confused.

Oh, and 7 "if you haven't had problems, it's not because you've maintained your bikes well, it's because you haven't had enough garage time with them". I also have not had an accident either, but i suspect this is because i just don't ride/drive enough, rather than good skills.

As for why do i say "EI is better than points" - less adjustment, less moving parts, less electronic components, less voltage required to fire. The downside is more susceptible to a massive EMP, but i'll try to not run through any nuclear testing grounds. ;)

Back