how exhaust is mounted

engine22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems the PO of my bike did some interesting stuff on my 1978 XS650. I thought the bike was a special, but it turns out (based on VIN and frame design), that it is indeed a standard. However, the PO apparently tried to make the bike a special in every way possible (seat, sissy bar, black tank). The exhaust that is on the bike is only attached to the frame by a hanger strap on the muffler through the bolt that attaches the passenger foot pegs on the loop off the frame. Didn't the standards' exhaust mount somewhere closer to the bottom of the frame? Where exactly did the standards' exhaust mount on the frame?

I'm looking to get a new exhaust from mikes, and I'm not exactly sure which to order. Will a Special exhaust fit on a standard and vice versa? The way the current system is mounted actually seems pretty solid, but I think it is a special exhaust mounted on a standard frame. The headpipes are upswept and have no bracket to mount to the frame.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Perhaps I'll post some pics later

full

I'm thinking those are already aftermarket headpipes too. The OD looks a little small for it to be the stock double wall. Looks like a standard to me too. I would be interested in those pipes if you are going to replace them. Is the gas cap centered or offset, it kinda looks like a standard gas tank? Bike looks sharp, loose the seat sissy bar for something a little more 'sporty" you'll be sittin' pretty.

i'd offer you the pipes, but the other one is messed up from the PO dropping it and it does not look that good. Gas cap is centered, but the tank is not the original. Where did the standards' exhaust mount on the frame?

Both standards and specials have a tab near the engine bolt about under the driver footpeg on both sides. the special tab is about??? 2" further forward? I have a 79 standard tank on the table in front of me, your tank looks the same perhaps with a slightly different Yamaha logo. I can measure tabs if you want.

I believe Gary is referring to the back tab on the head pipe. The muffler tab(original) bolts to the foot peg loop.
Maybe pictures would help?
The headpipes look like Mikes replacements to me. The flat front is definitely the "standard" look.

Attachments

• engine22's bike.jpg
    engine22's bike.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 106
  • standard exhaust hanger.jpg
    standard exhaust hanger.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 111
where exactly does that back tab on the head pipe mount onto the frame? The headpipes in my system do not have that tab. The only place the whole system is mounted is at the muffler on the foot peg loop

Basically what I really want to know is will it really matter which system I order? I'm looking at the "commando" street systems on mikes and there are those for standards and those for specials. It seems to me that it doesn't really matter that much and either one will fit my bike just fine. Am I right about this?

I checked both my 79 standard and a 79 special the bottom header mounts appear identical in location the muffler mounts are in different locations.

Back