How far back is comfortable? Handle bars

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm like having an issue deciding on those pesky handle bar things. I want low like drag bars, not clip ons, but have heard they are uncomfortable. So what angle has anyone here put on their bike and liked.

It's not only how low they are, good cable routing is just plain near impossible with them. Yes, go lower than stock, just not that low. I run the Euro bar bend on all my bikes. In my opinion, they are the most ergonomic and comfortable handlebar bend on the planet.

I've run superbike bars on several bikes. Yes, the clutch cable will be long for the bars as well as the front brake lines.

I have tried and even made adaptions to handle bars over the decades but have found its the style of riding that you do determines the bars you like..... if your a cafe racer type and love to throw the bike into tight corners you'll want to keep with the look with low bars and a bent back..... which gets uncomfortable over time. if you happen to like the chopper style and the laid back type of riding then pull back type of bars will be the type you like, but they take away allot of the feel you get from handling, and usually leave your body leaning back not forward into the wind, without some sort of back rest or something to lean back on that will get you sore real fast !
for the Hop on and go crowd its a combination between the two type of bars where you have a slight lean forward but not much
and you will find yourself using your arms to pull yourself forward in the wind... but the handling is better and you can be more aggressive
in the corners....
it's important that what ever Handle bars you get that they FIT YOU... and that you adjust them right.... your hands should be at least shoulder wide for better control slightly wider is allot better this gives you control in the corners your wrists need to be at a slight angle
not straight when on the bars this allows the outside hand to not be stressed to accept the acute angle of the wrist when turning sharply
the " buckhorn" bars of my 82' 650 HS had way too much of this TWIST in the wrist and were ment I think for pull back style riding...
but wound up with very uncomfortable bars over all.... they were fairly high and did not allow you to lean into the wind at 60mph
which puts strain on your arms keeping you from being blown off the bike..
so a bit Lower bar than the buckhorn style with less Wrist twist would probably be the best bet.
there is no One size fits all , its a personal preference thing. so what ever works for you.
try changing the angle of the bars you have by loosening the clamp bolts and rotating them forward in the clamps a bit and find the sweet spot you like ! ....
hope that helps
Bob........

From a technical standpoint, to get the best fork action your bars should rise straight up in line with the angle of the forks. This applies any downward force you transmit into the bars, like when braking, directly down into the forks. Roll the bars too far forward or back and this doesn't happen.

Lower bars will generate more cable slack. Unfortunately, there aren't shorter cables available for these off the shelf. That means you must work with what you've got. You MUST reroute the cables to make them fit and work better. This isn't very difficult but from the amount of bikes I see where it hasn't been done, you would think it is. People just cram their new handlebars on there and call it good, lol. It's not, not by a long shot. The last bike I worked on, the kid was complaining about how hard his clutch pull was. One look at his lower bar install told me why. His clutch cable had a near 180° squished loop up near the hand lever. What's wrong with these people, lol. A proper cable lube and reroute had it working smooth as silk.

On the 650, stock cable routing had the clutch cable running down the left side of the steering neck, the throttle cable down the right side. When you install lower bars, you need to flip-flop that, route the cables down the opposite sides of the neck. This will absorb the extra length the lower bars have generated and keep the cable bends gentle .....

CableRouting.jpg

The good old Standard model, weighted end bars.
Don't discount the importance of your seating too. Being able to move forward or back is a plus for finding comfort.
The side hinged '78-'79 Special seats are the apex of the Special seats as you can move a bit more than the later clip on, butt stop Special seats, and the Standard seats give the most room - for to aft - of course. Other opinions may vary........

Back