How important is it for the sprockets to align?

Wizard

Vagabond
Reaction score
I'm trying to fit a Honda XL 500 rear wheel to my hardtail frame and the alignment between the rear wheel sprocket and the gear box sprocket is not perfect. How important is it for the alignment to be exact? The difference is only a few mm.

A few mm's is a ton. Your sprockets and chain will wear quick not to mention the risk of the chain jumping off. I could see 1 or 2 mm but wouldn't dare more than that

Its critical... which way is it off? A small spacer would help if its not far enough to the left. If its too far, this is a little more difficult to fix.

I'm trying to fit a Honda XL 500 rear wheel to my hardtail frame and the alignment between the rear wheel sprocket and the gear box sprocket is not perfect. How important is it for the alignment to be exact? The difference is only a few mm.

Umm, VERY!!

you could ask youself the same question 'bout your car's wheel alignment, answer would be the same.

I suspected that, I just wanted to get some feedback before I decided to throw that Honda wheel away. Thanks!

Back