How many miles do you have on your xs?

TwoFitty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that my 1977 xs650 just hit 120,000 miles. It seemed to get a reaction of surprise. But I am sure there are others out there with just as many and probably more miles on their bikes. So how many miles do you have on yours? Side question, what's the most miles you have ridden in a day on your xs? My friend (86 Shadow 1100) and I are planning on doing 1000 in a day in June, but as of now my high is around 300.

My bikes don't have near that much. The 81 is just coming up on 19,500. The 75 had a replacement speedo on it that said 1236 miles. The one on it now reads about 17,000.
As far as miles in a day on an XS650 somewhere around 750 miles.
1000 miles a day as in 24 hours is the first leg of the Iron Butt. Most of your riding may average 50 miles an hour. That's 20 hour days.
I have spent many 10-12 hour days on a bike. Much more than that is tough. That's more like 500-600 miles.
Leo

Why would anyone want to drive 1000 miles in one day? There's such as thing as taking your time and enjoy life!

The appropriate distance to drive in a day, I see as a sliding scale, depending on your age.

When I was 30 years young, I would drive my XS500C, 800 kms (500 miles) in a day. Now that I'm 66 years young, I like to drive about 400 kms (250 miles). I expect that when I'm 70, I'll be down to 300 kms a day. I like to stop and smell the flowers, and listen to the birds along the route.

I'm way past the time of trying to achieve bragging rights for distance travelled in a day or top speed attained.

My 78 XS650SE has 30,000 kms on it, which is perhaps more than a lot of canadian bikes. Only about 6 months bike driving here in the frozen north, so that keeps the kms considerably less than the lads down in florida or texas.

My 81' special has just over 4,000 original miles . I've seen a lot of these bikes and most all of them have very low miles . You would think a bike thats been around 40+ years there would be a bunch of 650's with over 100,000 but thats not the case most have less than 25,000 miles . The xs650 like most other bikes that were made in the 60's just didn't last very long . Todays bikes and cars are built to last hundreds of thousands miles .

From what I know my old girls on her second engine and the gauges read 24,000 and I'm doing my top end right now on the second one.
I have never seen an XS with 120,000 though that's pretty amazing, just doesn't want to die it sounds like.

planning on doing 1000 in a day in June, but as of now my high is around 300.

I think I did 700 one day. I was groovin' and I didn't feel a thing.

But I was anxious to get to a certain destination. That is not the best way to go as a normal thing. I have taken a month to do what you could travel in a couple of days by car and that is much more fun and rewarding, if you can get your head around that. If you are young and good-looking then you could have even more fun the slow way than I did :) :)

Total, over 50k, but switched speedos and would have to look it up and do the math...

As for the 1,000 in one day. It is the first leg of the iron butt challenge. It's just something we have been wanting to do. So I am not necessarily looking forward to it, or expecting it to be extremely enjoyable. Just doing it to do it. Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar on an old xs. Sounds like a few of you have come close.

As for the amount of miles. My dad bought it brand new and basically rode it everywhere until the sometime between 1985-1990 (So I have both high miles and a long storage). I then sat in a garage until 2010 when we pulled it out and got it running again. Had to replace a bunch of little things but nothing major. I have put about six thousand on it the past two summers. I just fixed a problem with the ATU and it looks like the carbs are gonna need a good clean. It runs great but I did notice some plastic and aluminum in the oil filter last oil change which I know means the cam chain guide. I tightened the cam chain which seemed to be pretty far out of adjustment so I am hoping that fixes the guide wear, but it looks like I will be doing the bikes first major engine maintenance soon.

I'm sure these bikes can rack up a ton of miles if properly cared for. But therein lies the problem - most of them weren't. After the 1st few years of production, this wasn't Yamaha's flagship or top model anymore. It became a cheaper alternative to that but still a good sized bike. Many new riders bought them. They had little bike knowledge and even less bike maintenance knowledge. They drove them like their car which you really can't do with any bike. Bike engines rev higher and work harder than car engines. They require more frequent maintenance because of that. Most of these 650s never got that.

So, you had a new 650 that was cheap to begin with. Now it's used and gets sold even cheaper, probably to another new rider. A few years later, the cycle repeats itself. The poor bike gets beat, beat, and beat some more. The prices have started to come back up on these bikes now but like 10 or 15 years ago, you could easily pick up a runner for a couple hundred bucks. Chances were it was kinda beat from the succession of new rider owners who had abused it, but a little TLC could usually bring it back.

We love our 650s here and are doing our small part to help insure the survival of the species. Now, if we could just confiscate the grinders and sawzalls from some of these numb nuts, we'd really be getting somewhere, lol.

Mine's got 14K and change on it. I think it's only been in Kentucky, Ohio, and West By God Virginia. It's been in the family it's whole life. Now I'm going to haul it across the Mississippi for the next chapter of it's life.

<snip> We love our 650s here and are doing our small part to help insure the survival of the species. Now, if we could just confiscate the grinders and sawzalls from some of these numb nuts, we'd really be getting somewhere, lol.

:thumbsup::laugh:

These old Japanese bikes were made in such quantities (excepting a few like the Honda GB500), that I doubt they'll ever be rare in my lifetime. But every time I see an XS650 or an SR500 being hacked up I figure it puts mine just that much closer to being valuable. Miles? The aggregate total on all four of mine is less than 12,000.

roy

If it wasn't for all the sawzalls and grinders, there wouldn't be much of a market for these bikes. Just saying.

118,000 miles and counting, and that is with the relatively short riding season here in northern PA.

There we go! I know what that's like here in central OH. I don't think it's ever going to warm up. What year is yours? Are all the miles yours? Any major problems? Most of all, any tips?

We're making up for last winter, snowing hard and they say 2 to 5 inches. I usually get the higher amounts in the range they give.

1978 XS650SE and all miles are mine. Only serious problem I had was a broken dog on 3rd gear. Was able to get home but it wasn't easy since it wasn't the only gear I lost.

Best tip I think I can give is to always stay on top of maintenance, whatever it needs it gets.

If it wasn't for all the sawzalls and grinders, there wouldn't be much of a market for these bikes. Just saying.
AH!! TOUCHE'
Mines only been around the block a couple times since a rebiuld a couple years ago.
I think Ive only got fifty miles on it. TIME FOR RETORQUE!!

Back