How many miles do you have on your xs?

If it wasn't for all the sawzalls and grinders, there wouldn't be much of a market for these bikes. Just saying.

mmmmmmmmmm.

There was genuine XS650 followers before the sawzills got to them and those same guys will still be there when the fad followers fade away.

Mikes XS opened online shopping for the XS650 in 2004.

The 650 club of Australia started in 1994.

The 650 Garage opened in 2005.

Without these Clubs and enthusiasts you would not be interested in the XS650. All the questions answered are mostly by stock enthusiasts, and the others that answer have learnt from those stock enthusiasts.

Where do you think the carb guide comes from?.............The rephrase development was revived and researched and parts development from the Aussie club.

Helco Engineering, (late Tony hall), was supplying, (and making parts), for the English and Europe enthusiasts 20 years ago

The market was there before you and the grinder, in fact it is because of the sawzil crowd that the price of parts for the XS650 has skyrocketed, and a lot of misinformation has been created about the XS by the lack of knowledge from the grinder mob.

Once the used con-rod goes on a welded crank with new wisco pistons at 5,000 or 10,000 miles that is it throw it away.

A crank should be good for 3 rebuilds before it has to be welded. Say for argument sake a top end lasts 30,000 miles, should be able to build the top end 3 times before having to rebuild the crank. That's 90,000 miles, if the crank has to be welded the forth time it is taken apart then the engine has done 360,000 before a new crank is needed.

With good care and maintenance that figure would be doubled.

Fact: A lot of the new guys to the XS believe the crank has to be welded for the bike to be reliable.

Fiction: Statement under Fact

Last edited:
I want to say I'm a big fan of all models and mods of xs650's.While I don't agree with ember's statement I'm really tired of members who think that anything but stock is an abortion of the original design.For myself I wouldn't cut up an early example,but that's just my opinion.I'm of the mind these bikes look good stock,cafe,brat,hardtail or tracker. I really appreciate the experience and knowledge of the membership,it was the reason for my decision to pursue a xs650 in first place. I've found a lot of like minded people and a few friends on here.The members of this forum are the people who enable me to build the best bike that I can. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I really like my hardtailed bike.Is it to everyone's liking? No. Is it practical? No.
I have to say,I'm not a sawsall moron,thank you very much. But,that's just my opinion.........:)

^The problem a lot of the stockers have with all that is that it's done poorly and as likely as not abandoned down the road and as likely as not driven by some TV show. If it was bad but soul-driven it would be a different matter.

But making a good motorcycle is just as rare as picking up a brush and a tube of paint and making a good painting. In Other Words, no you can't do it and your ugly results prove it.

I want to say I'm a big fan of all models and mods of xs650's.While I don't agree with ember's statement I'm really tired of members who think that anything but stock is an abortion of the original design.For myself I wouldn't cut up an early example,but that's just my opinion.I'm of the mind these bikes look good stock,cafe,brat,hardtail or tracker. I really appreciate the experience and knowledge of the membership,it was the reason for my decision to pursue a xs650 in first place. I've found a lot of like minded people and a few friends on here.The members of this forum are the people who enable me to build the best bike that I can. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I really like my hardtailed bike.Is it to everyone's liking? No. Is it practical? No.
I have to say,I'm not a sawsall moron,thank you very much. But,that's just my opinion.........:)

Not getting at the chopper bobber guys, just straitening out the facts from a statement made. As for hard-tails i couldn't care what people do to their XS, and i love to see a well designed, (hard-tailed, bobbed, rat, cafe, And stock), bike, meaning the lines flow and it has balance and is unique and has presence.

650Skull, Thank you for the words, I couldn't agree more.
xjwmx, What? You don't like my bike build? I'm shocked! Once again an unwelcomed and unwanted rant, but That's just my opinion....

12,xxx miles.. speedometer just broke about 100 miles or so ago. Internal gears where whinning and the needle was freaking out, then snap... broken needle. I guess i'll get one of those minis (60 mm) with the idiot lights built in. Are they any good?

xjwmx, What? You don't like my bike build? I'm shocked!

I didn't look at any pictures. If yours is immortal then I'll take your word for it.

Regarding the broken needle syndrome....you can get dampers new from the dealers. I just put a pair on and am hoping to avoid that syndrome again. The new ones are a damn sight different from the 30 year old ones :) Had no idea what they looked like new.

My 1978 XS 650 has less than 3000 miles. She is a project bike I found on Craigslist. Once I get her running I might add more.

My XS650b has 62,000 miles. I bought it in 1977. Rebuilt top end at 48,000 miles, compression was down to 100 psi in each cylinder.

Problems? The usual: swing arm bushings, wheel bearings (rear, and lost spacer), had to clean the carbs (main jets) after it sat for around ten years while I was raising my daughters, alternator brushes x2, voltage regulator (thank you fellow XSers for the voltage regulator information). I have clutch problem now, slips and grabs on initial engagement, vibrates above 3,000 rpm.
Great information on these sites regarding what to watch for during clutch rebuild.

Amazed at the creativity and engineering directed towards the old XS650.

I just bought an SV650 and my wife wants to know when I am going to sell the XS.

The SV may go.

But not the XS.
Maybe it's all the years I've had her (36) or maybe it's the character of the bike and the ride experience. Since the first time I let the clutch out on my friends XS, I knew it was the one. It suits me.

Ditto Motor650b,

My (2) XS1Bs have about 25-30k each, mostly done way back then.
Chopped 1 in 1975, wasn't an issue, not collectable. My crystal ball's broke...

Around 20k. Gonna put more on this season. I'm getting 'er ready now. I can't get enough saddle time!

They aren't rare at least not in MY shed.
Almost did the ton back in about 1978 CB750 ran out of open gas stations in Minnesota at about 2AM was over 900 miles for the day had put 600 miles on the day before mostly in the rain, ah youth. Seldom put much over 2000 a year these days. But I have so many bikes I can't really keep track of totals for the year. Of the herd out there I think the highest OD is a 70 with 32K and it's stuck tight like it has been for at least a decade maybe two. I am amazed when I see late model bikes with over 100K on them, makes me wonder about folks who put 50K a year on a motorcycle, why? What are they running to, or from?

In the early 80's I bought a BMW r-65 and put a Dunstal 3/4 faring on it. I used it rear-round and rode on my days off. I rode 100 miles round trip to and from work for 18 months. I put a total of 116,000 miles on the bike.

Back