How Many Miles?

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
My donor bike has no gauges. No way to tell how many miles might be on my motor.
Was thinking maybe there are some wear items (brushes maybe?) that might give a clue to the mileage. Motor has good compression thats about all i know about it.

Compression, fuel and power are the 3 things you need right in order for it to run. There's no real way to tell how many miles are on it that I'm aware of man.

It kicked up on the 6 month old gas it had in it when I got it. Didn't smoke up my garage or anything. The only thing I've seen on the bike that looks a little bad is the right exhaust port is really lean and white looking while the left is just sooty. I'm hoping a careful check of the valve clearances and a good carb set up will help out there. Motor sounded pretty dang good for the few minutes I had it running.

The front cam chain guide seems to come apart around 15-20K.
If the adjuster (cam chain) is screwed in quite aways and you have bits of plastic on your sump filter..........
But those aren't absolutes.

Does it have points? If you're running out of adjustment slot on the points plate, that's an indication that the cam chain is pretty well stretched out and needs replacing. That usually happens by about 20K. They can last much longer if properly cared for and kept in adjustment but most never were.

If it runs well I wouldn't worry to much about miles. If you tear into the engine the piston clearance and the crank bearing clearances can give you a general idea of miles.
The wear indicating miles can vary due to maintainance, regular oil changes are a biggie.
Looking at the overall wear on the bike tells alot. Foot pegs, shifter. Is the rubber worn down?
Steering head bearings, swingarm bushings, most anything that looks or feels worn indictes more miles. My 75 had 1236 miles on the speedo. I didn't beleive it. the foot pegs were worn almost smooth, the shifter rubber was smooth, the shocks leaked oil, the steering bearings felt like a rachet, The tach wasn't an XS650, 9500 redline. Used a quart of oil every 150 miles.
Lots of little things that said lots of miles.
The price was right, I trade an old row bout for it.
I wouldn't sell it for $5000 now. She's my baby. I love it.
Leo

That makes a lot of sense. My steering head bearings had a lot of flat spots, I've replaced them. The swingarm bearings had recently been changed to bronze. All the footpeg and other rubber is in good shape, shocks don't leak. I'm guessing the bike probably has 20,000 or so miles.

Back