How many people use a Frame Jig for their hardtail?

CoastsideXS650

Princeton Motor Works
Reaction score
I was wondering what people have use for the welding of their frames with hardtail kits.

Do most people just chop and weld without a jig?

I didn't use a jig for my frame and did not use a pre-constructed rear section. I used the universal kit from TC Bros which comes un-assembled and it was a total pain in the ass to try and weld that bad boy without a jig.

I know that the frame SHOULD be welded using a jig and a Professional Welder but not everyone does it the "right" way. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the subject and if they have experienced any problems welding without a jig.

The jig is mostly there to hold everything square and in place while you put all the tubes and plates together. It gives you "extra hands" to hold everything while you measure everything, check for alignment and squareness, and tack weld it all together. Unless you have a really beefy jig, it doesn't completely stop things from moving around from the heat. Welding in a good sequence will help to make sure things don't move much.

So if you can put it all together how you want it straight and square without a jig, then it might have been a pain in the ass, but the end result is the same.

As to your question about whether anyone has experienced any problems welding without a jig... Well I guarantee you that everyone that welds a frame up without a jig will run into some problems. The main problem is not having enough hands or being able to hold everything where it should go so you can measure and align everything. At the same time, I'm sure even people with the best jig in the world have problems too. :) A jig doesn't have to be all that fancy to get the job done if it's designed for that build alone. The fancy jigs are more so you can build several different styles of frames using the same adjustable jig.

^ Just don't take it the wrong way. It is really impossible to know how he meant it. The smiley face does lead you to believe he was just poking fun at those of us who cut 'em up. I didn't take it as him being a dick, just a smart ass. :shrug:

Jig all the way...

100_5395.jpg

Even for a prefab tail, I won't do it without the jig. There is more to the XS frames than just keeping the motor mounts lined up, you also want the rear wheel to track perfectly with the headtube and front wheel...

I agree JIG is the way to go and if you don't have one front and rear jig mounts are on EBAY and you can make your own table Most kits will line up very good but check double check and make sure everthing is level. Tack first and check again before you weld. Some metal will move under heat so jump around unless you are a expert welder.
I made my jig from jig plans that were on internet and just bought front and back mount and i always use a dummy motor in frame to keep everything tight.I use to build DRAG Frames and if you are off bike does not go straight same as on street. DO IT ONCE!
GOOD LUCK

most will see the junk pile in a few years anyways. :D

I would tend to believe that to be true but... Of the thousands of old motorcycles I've bought as scrap metal I've yet to see a rigid frame in the pile. Maybe my competitors pay extra for rigid frames but I don't think so. Maybe the scrappers of rigid frames always cut them into little pieces? Maybe I'll start seeing rigid frames in a few more years-- I donno'.

Yeah you don't needa fancy jig and can make your own or you can spend more time and effort doing without. However you go about it is fine just make sure that your wheels line up in all planes and you trust your life on your welds. I used to do assembly line welding many years ago and jigs are not perfect but damn do they help.

Wish I had a jig but I didn't use anything but a tape measure. Runs straightforward better than stock actually.

Posted via Mobile

Back