How many turns is too much

One thing i read in one of those posts is this: does the needle jet have to go in the carb a certain way? He was dealing with BS34's. Said there is a hole that has to face the front of the engine. I just put mine in any old way.

Wow, you've been busy! I *just* posted those threads!

The 'hole' referred to in that post probably concerns the vacuum signal hole at the bottom of the slide. It allows manifold vacuum to reach the top of the slide diaphram, pulling the diaphram (and hence the slide) up, to accomodate engine demand.

All this reading has got me paranoid. I'll have to re-check my float levels now as this is a symptom for the mix screw not killing the engine when turned in all the way.

As far as a hole in the needle jet is concerned, I can't say, have no experience with the modern BS34. On other carburetor types I've dealt with, some have a 'notch' at the top of the needle jet that must aim a certain way, but are usually guided into proper position by a notch or nub in the carburetor body. Don't recall seeing this in other BS34 threads...

Yes, there is a notch in the side of the BS34 needle jets and a hole in the side also to allow fuel through (I think) to the pilot jet. The BS38 needle jets have none of that. You can just stick them in any old way, they're not position sensitive.

Back