How many zerk fittings?

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought a grease gun at Harbor Freight for $10.00 today. How many zerks are on the xs650 and where are they? I want to get my money's worth from the grease gun. I know there is a zerk on the swing arm, that's it.

There's one on each side of the swingarm but I think that's about it for stock. You can add more to various parts, things like the stand pivots, steering neck, and kicker pivot. I've added near a half dozen more on mine. I highly recommend doing the stand pivots. It's amazing how much smoother and easier the stands deploy when the pivots are greased .....

SidestandMount.jpg

CenterstandGreaseNipples.jpg

Many struggle putting their 650 up on the centerstand. Rusty, binding pivot bolts are a major factor in that. My 650 goes up on the centerstand easier than any bike I've ever owned.

Oh, I just remembered, older models (from about '78 and earlier) have a fitting on the rear brake pedal pivot .....

PedalZerk.jpg

I remember watching a video on the install of the bronze swing arm bushings and he recommend drilling and tapping for a grease zerk on the weld directly above the swingarm bolt. The stock zerk on the swingarm is offset from bolt. What's it purpose?

The stock swingarm bolt has the ends drilled in a couple inches deep, then cross-drilled so the grease will exit out the sides and into about the center of the stock plastic bushings. If you look at some bronze bushings, you'll notice most have swirled grease grooves running from top to bottom, or front to rear .....

They are designed to receive their grease from the rear, not the side like the originals. The usual procedure is to install an additional zerk on the bottom middle of the swingarm. A 45° fitting angled to the rear eases access .....

SwingarmGreaseNipple2.jpg

SwingarmGreaseNipple.jpg

Back