How much $ in your build?

I probably have close to $1.5K in my ride. That includes the bike. Parts bought for earlier dead ended projects. Oil and filters not included.

I am embarrassed to say over $10,000 into my "Turbo Woody" build. What is hard to get through my head is I still have a few thousand to go. The others I have built are all around $3000.00 and my favorite bike to ride cost $800.00.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 181
Don't be embarrassed, we are all probably under estimating our total investment.

I know I sure am.

But it's the love of the challenge and smile it brings out after you look at all you have achieved.

My grandchildren ask why I'm always working on it.

And my sons biting his fingernails waiting to ride it like it was stolen.

ha ha ha

The dealer price of $15k is probably quite accurate for a shop to do all the work we take for granted. With a touch of profit of course.

Don't be embarrassed, we are all probably under estimating our total investment.

I know I sure am.

But it's the love of the challenge and smile it brings out after you look at all you have achieved.

My grandchildren ask why I'm always working on it.

And my sons biting his fingernails waiting to ride it like it was stolen.

ha ha ha

The dealer price of $15k is probably quite accurate for a shop to do all the work we take for granted. With a touch of profit of course.
+1 with you on the embarrassment factor. Your point about the shop is well taken but it still seems expensive to me. I could see it if it looked like yours for example but based on what I see it's not even close. It's in the right area of Ontario to find a buyer for that kind of money though. Kind of ironic, I bought my first XS650 (a 1978 Special) not too far from there for $275.00 and sometimes I wish I'd never sold/traded it. Sold it to a guy in Welland and I think it became this. Before and after pictures in reverse order.
Yamimoto

Attachments

• My old 78 2.jpg
    My old 78 2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 158
  • speaker stands 028.jpg
    speaker stands 028.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 119
You would not want to pay for my services.

I took 3 days just to upgrade my poor first time wiring job to a 5 fuse system.

Yamimoto, that is a fancy bit of suspension work. What inspired that amount of work?

Brian902, perhaps we could have a competition to see who it took the longest to do a particular job, I'm sure I could give you a run for your money.
Just to be clear I did not do that work on the '78. It was the fellow who had it after me. He is retired and has built a few XS650 projects. I think he just wanted to try something different. It seemed to take a while for him to sell that one and I haven't seen an ad from him for quite some time. He built some pretty interesting bikes though. Your bike looks great to me.
Yamimoto

$1,452.43 so far, keeping close count. Helps when you can purchase the base at $350.00 from a dude. Engine completely gone through and rebuilt & TC Bros Hardtail.

Attachments

• XS650 Beauty.jpg
    XS650 Beauty.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 135
It took me $5000 to get a $3000 bike. I probably have about $3000 worth on my bike as it sits right now. And I'm putting another $2000 into it right now. re-phased, rebuild, maybe 700cc, and narrow trees.

So it's taking me $7000 to have the bike I like. I really like it too. And I have a 1970's Ironhead project I'm working with about $3500 into it so far. I plan to sell it for $5000 if I can unless I like it. It's a long chopper.

I really could have used that $10k better. LOL.

I had a rock crawler that I put $30k into and sold for $10k to do bikes. Bikes are much cheaper.

LOL. I was just thinking about this.

I have my re-phase almost done. Just waiting for one part and my cylinders to be bored. Planning on having it done in the next two weeks or less.

I'm still at right around $7000 with the rephase and 700cc upgrade. It's going to be a really fun bike in a few weeks.

How much do I have in one? Heck I can't really pin down how many I HAVE!

I bought a parts 71 last fall and got an email last week, the woman the guy bought the bike from found the title in the name of the dead guy that had owned it, unsigned. So I said sure I'll pay you for a title in a dead guys name! It came in the mail today, woo hoo!

The resto mod is about ready for the rally trip, I just bought the 73 back from a friend I sold it to last spring. After sitting all winter it started first kick and I rode it home.

79-73.jpg

79-73.jpg

Tony I still think you have the prettiest XS on this site.

I have abour 3k in mine. 2k original purchase, then tires, chain, sprockets, charging system gave up on me (pretty sure it was my fault, sorry girl), new carbs, bars, mirrors, wiring harness.

Of course then I drop it putting it on my centre stand after a long ride and put a big dent in my pristine tank. Ooooooh well.

Back