how much stretch? very tall rider...

AK4900PA

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just purchased an '82 XS650 with the intent to make a bobber project out of it. I want to send the frame out to be hardtailed first thing, but I'm not sure how much stretch to put in it. I'm 6'7" and I will be using forward controls. Will 5" of stretch give me sufficient leg room? I'm afraid any more than that wont look right.

I've been looking at either Ardcore or G&L to do the hardtail conversion. Any other shops I should be looking at for this?

At 5" of stretch the bike starts to look kinda goofy. After seeing this pic I decided to go with 4".

5" Stretch vvv
xs650_bobber_danny_29.jpg

Anyone on here close to my height who would like to share a picture of them on their bike? I don't expect my legs to be straight out, but I don't want to be crunched up like my GSX-R either! You guys think 4" would be enough?

Heres my build with 4 inch stretch, and im 6'4.. I wouldnt wanna ride it cross country, but i wouldnt want to anyways with a hardtail. It fits me just about perfect. Id say youd be safe with 4inch.

Attachments

• 0426111418-00.jpg
    0426111418-00.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 599
I am very tall as well, i don't have a bobber though (so no pics), more of a cafe fan myself but that's besides the point. As you very well know half the things you sit in are uncomfortable cause your knees are always hitting everything or in your chest. So first the comfort factor of a 5 inch would certainly would be better then 4 inch.

Lastly if your worried about looking silly, you will look alot more silly on a bike that doesn't(lack of a better word) "fit" you. Your tall mate, embrace it.

I would go with 5 inch, but that's just my opinion.

Although i do agree with you totally Dakota, I dont think the one inch difference between a 4 or 5 inch stretch is going to make much of a difference being that tall. Plus unless you build your own, its gonna be tough to find anyone that makes a 5 inch hardtail.

Why would someone 6'7" want a little yamaha in the first place? for the comedy factor?

Yeah. I’m taller than that and do fine with the stock bike. If forward controls present a problem, perhaps mid controls could work better.
Post a pic of you on the bob when you get it. You’ll get lots of ideas thrown at you.

Hi @doggwillhunt welcome to the madhouse. Why don't ya start a new thread with some pictures of your bobber, and keep us up to date what you do to it? Cheers, Raymond
thats a great idea , i barley now how to navigate the site> totally new to forums ... either way i have bad news.. when i met the guy with the 79 we couldnt get it started... he said the starter needed something pinched/adjusted to work better.. i tried to kick it over about 1000 times but it was 100 degrees out and after i busted my shin and about 20 more tries on the starter i gave up..... so pretty bummed about it honestly but im looking for another one! my budget is about $1500... might have to wait and get me a project for the winter .

Back