How much torque for the clutch nut?

sherwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting the clutch put back together but can't find the torque spec for the clutch nut. I notice if it is tight it seems to lock everything in place and even the kickstarter won't turn the engine, otherwise it seems too loose. Isn't that inner part of the basket supposed to be able to rotate separately from the clutch basket? This has just got me totally mixed up and frustrated :banghead:

Any help is be greatly appreciated.

By the way it is a 1979 with the only modifications being the addition of Mikes fifth gear, repair of the starter gear, and 1st oversize pistons.

Thank you,
Sherwin

Torque for the clutch nut is 54 to 58 ft-lbs.

Here's the diagram I used to assemble my clutch.

Make sure you have the index punch mark lined up.

The clutch centre (inner hub) will only be able to rotate separately from the clutch basket (driven from the primary gears), when the pushrod overcomes the clutch springs pressure. So, normally with the clutch assembled, the basket and the clutch centre are held firmly together.

Attachments

• Revised clutch.jpg
    Revised clutch.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,027
  • ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,001
My guess is that if things bind up as you tighten the nut you have something misaligned. I would pull it apart and make sure all the washers and bearings are in the right order and the right amount.
Leo

Back