How not to do it.

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
thumbnail_WP_20180412_12_16_39_Pro.jpg
..... other day I pick'd up some misc parts and bits from a local fellow.... left over's from a cafe' built. One of the bits was a lower end..no top end.. stator wires cut. I didn't want it.. but it was " all or nothing ".
Today I went to pull it out and toss in the shop and .. ? It's hard to see.. but the lower engine-frame bolt is still in the engine.... they just hammered the ends off enough to remove the unit from the frame... and why did they hammer the starter bolts. ?

I got an (almost) rolling 650 frame & wheels from my dealer. Apparently the guy who brought it in did so in the trunk of his car. To make it fit, he sawed it in half, lol. Instead of taking the forks off, he cut them along with the steering neck off the frame. I didn't care really. There was no title and I was mostly after the flanged alloy wheels and other misc. parts left on the bike (instruments, side and centerstand). I traded him even for a complete junk bike someone gave me for free (and I had already stripped of anything useful) so I was happy. Nothing better than 650 stuff for free, lol.

Reminded me of when I dismantled my old ride to work bike after I retired. The two top motor mount bolts were corroded in the head cover so tight I could not get them to move with heat or penetrating fluids. As I really did not "need" to get them out they are still in there with the right side of the mounts. I figure if at sometime I find a need for the cylinder head I will address it at that time!

Have considered drilling down the center of the bolts to weaken them enough to get them free.

Oh, the butchery that gets committed for no apparent reason! Some years ago I bought a titled bike from a local welder; most parts were present, but the motor had been removed from the frame. The whole thing was cheap enough that I didn't do a close inspection until I got the mess home. The PO had evidently hit a snag when he tried to lift the motor out of the frame, so he'd cut off half of the lower rear motor mount to make things easier.

Back