How screwed am I?

PrinceJ57

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought the bike last week. Not sure of the mileage because the speedo is screwed, 1983 XS650 Heritage Special. Drained the oil today and found this (see picture). The engine runs fine other than it is running a little rich. Kicks on one kick and only has a problem cranking off the starter because the gear is warn. I also found some plastic so I'm sure the chain guide is shot. But I have no clue what this is exactly and what it means for my wallet. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• SAM_0513.jpg
    SAM_0513.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 196
  • SAM_0516.jpg
    SAM_0516.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 138
I don't think so. It looks like it was a complete circle. It is very thin and flat like a gasket of some sort. But I could be wrong.

I found a piston clip in the bottom of an old XS engine, I pulled the top end off it and found all 4 piston clips still in place!!

Well that's just awesome. So I guess I'm doing a rebuild. :banghead: It's very frustrating because it actually runs pretty damn good.

I found a piston clip in the bottom of an old XS engine, I pulled the top end off it and found all 4 piston clips still in place!!

That is possible. The PO has done some pretty interesting wiring on this bike so I could see them half assing a rebuild.

It's amazing what PO's will do. Especially with wiring!!
I'm not making fun, but when you think about it, where would the piston pin go? It's in the cylinder, it can't really back out. However, it could scar the inside of the cylinder.

this thing is def bigger than the quarter. It fell from the rear drain if that makes a difference. I have no experience with these engines but something tells me I'm about to have lots!

It's to big to be a piston clip. How would a piston clip get out of the cylinder without some severe damage. If nobody here can ID it, it could just be a foreign object donated by the PO. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Now that's an idea the starter is having all kinds of issues so that is very very possible. You guys are awesome I feel lots better now. Should have seen my face when that thing dropped out!

Back