How to dismantle xs1 instruments

53048C.jpg

:yikes: Do you want me to 'repair' your instruments using that method.........
Guess that means they cant be fixed, good thing I have a spare set.
'oz'

2M’s instructions are very good and if followed work well. The BIG problem is there are no parts available for repair. In my case the lower bearing was the problem, totally worn beyond use, so creating something to repair this was the challenge, but I did manage to create a replacement. And btw, it was the same failure for both gauges.

And also, thanks 2M, without your instructions I would have no idea where to start. And I had only the one set to work with.

I found this thread and posted the links to help someone who may come across this when doing a search......

Ipa62, it is good info on a lower bearing situation.....................Be nice to not have to squeeze the information out of you to find out how you solved the lower bearing issue with a replacement..............might help someone

Sorry, wasn’t trying to be secretive, just don’t know how well this will work for everyone. The lower bearing is pressed into the frame, so if you have a lathe to make a new bearing, great, but I don’t. So what I did was tap the hole where the bearing is placed, if I remember 8-32. Then used a 8-32 brass screw, filed the head flat so that the slot for the screw driver was still slightly there, i then drilled a 1mm shallow hole in the head (and this is the trick) not too deep and centered as close as i could get it to the center of the screw, I have a drill press and machinist vise with a v slot to hold the screw. The hole is for the end of the gauge shaft to rest in. I then cut the treads of the screw off so that it was just a bit longer than the thickness of the threaded hole in the frame where the bearing is located. Because the slot in the head was quite shallow I couldn’t put much torque on the screw to tighten it, so I used locktite to secure it. The trick is to make the hole in the head of the screw not too deep but deep enough so that the upper bearing can be used to adjust the free play of the shaft. All this was really kind of tricky as there is not much space to make the screw fit, I hope my solution makes some since. When finished the gauges seem to operate normally and the needles move square to the face. The gauges now function but I’m not sure of the accuracy, don’t have enough time on the bike to fully evaluate this.

Thanks for your thanks. There is however one problem I see with my solution. Once you go down this road there is kind of no return. Maybe someone who has the right tools to make a proper replacement bearing could offer a couple up for sale. Would be nice but maybe wishful thinking.

And for my gauges that was really the biggest problem, the hole in the original bottom bearing was worn huge, I assume from vibration. I will have to say that when I started to cut open the first gauge I was pretty apprehensive and did try to think of another way to get them apart, but in the end made the cut. I did notice that at the point where the cut is made is the same place where the gauge is originally glued together, only that there is a male/female joint, kind of like the way plastic pipe is glued. Maybe if a little heat was applied at that point the glue would soften enough to pull apart. But if you only had one set of gauges to experiment with a bit too riskey. And you would have to have a hot air welder to do this.

Ive seen the post of how to do a rebuild and Ill leave it to my engineer son as its way over my paygrade, but the description was brilliant......

Back