how to fix speedometer peg

StampBear

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
in an effort to "help out" on my build one of my girls tried to get the nut off the back of the speedometer so we could remove it from the can and get things cleaned up for paint. well the ratchet was set to tighten and she snapped it clear off LOL

so now i have a post snapped in half and i want to replace it (or remove it and substitute it) but after a little work with the grips i thought i would ask here 1st so i dont go off and break the whole unit.

it is the original speedometer and i really really want to keep it if i can save it..

any advice ? experience?

ahhh you are great!!! thanks Paulrx650 !!!!

i thought it was supposed to come out but as i put pressure on it it did not move so wanted to check in and be 100% sure!!!

so true... again its a fun build just not overly experienced and trying to get things right as i go...

in all honesty the whole project is moving faster than anticipated and i am getting more excited each week.. of course it will be just about complete just in time for snow, but hey come spring this is going to be FUN

Yeah. I'm in the middle of my own build "UK Bobber Build" is the thread on here. I'll not be finished til feb march time which should be perfect timing for riding. Get some pics up of your build. As for experience - theres plenty of help here!

You might find a replacement that's broken inside, like a broken needle or faceplate.
As long as the body is good. Then remove the internals from the bad one and your good one put your good internals in the good replacement housing. Or just get one that's in good shape with milage about the same as yours.
I have a 120mph speedo on my 75. It was used for just a year or two. Anyway the needle broke. I found a good one on Ebay that had very close milage, my broken one has 13191 miles, the replacement had 14745. Close enough for me. It's in much better shape than the old one. I got it for $54 shipped.
The stud is moulded into the plastic housing. You may not be able to drill and tap for a new stud. You might try an epoxy glue to glue the stud back to the body.
Some of the early years had a steel housing. Fixing one of those will be different. I have a set of those but can't put my hands on them now.
Leo

Leo its a plastic one for sure and i can see what you are saying.. this will be something to think about...

the issue is that i am sponsoring this whole bike from sales in my other hobby (stamp Collecting) so the funds are slow at times and prices need to be cheap..

i will start that Build thread and get into more details.. once its up (i a little while) i will post a link here.

I might try fixing it now, but not worry to hard on it untill you get the rest of the bike done. You can run it with just one stud. It just might vibrate a bit more. Once you get the bike rideable, save up for a replacement.
Let me look through my extra parts, I have a few plastic housings with bad internals.
Leo

After looking at mine I see that there are several styles, the 85 mph ones have just one light and a reed swith for the turn sognal canceler. My old 120 has two lights and the reed switch cut out.
Email me with what your has and your address and I can send you one. Just pay shipping.
Leo

I think you have the wrong Lebanon. I live just a bit south of Syracuse, about 45 miles. It takes me a few hours to get to the border between NY and Mass. There is another down closer to the NYC that may be close to you.
Leo

sorry for posting this same basic question in 2 spots but...

i got the new housing in that i need to get things swapped over for.. i was a nub and got a speedometer when i needed an odometer.. that aside i think drilling a new hole for the light will work just fine since the guts are being moved over..

now the issue. i busted my needle in the tear down and in order to fix it used a bit of superglue. the questions are -

will the weight of the glue create a problem for the needle movement?

would i be better off just getting a new odometer instead of creating head aches for myself?

LOL

Back