how to get a vin checked to make sure it's not stolen?

XS Woody

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know a surefire way to get vin "'s run to check and see if the unit is or is not stolen - short of going down to the local highway patrol ? I have a 1980 xs 650
w/ a non original motor installed in it. I have a title for the cycle & I have the orig. #'s
matching motor (in a basket and all apart). I put a donor motor in it (bought w/ a bill of sale only). I would like to check it out before i go to the highway patrol for my inspection.
any info would be greatly appreciated !!........... Charlie.. aka.. xs woody

In Alabama I had to print out a form called a "motor vehicle inspection by a government official" then call my local law enforcement agency and have a lil piggy sent to my house, he then ran the vin and when it came back clear he filled out that form. I'll take it with me to the DMV when I register it.. So google that form for your state and see what it says or call your DMV, that's what I did and they were actually nice to me ha!

Since law enforcement has the only data base for such things I can't imagine where else you would find out that info.
The tax commision(tag agent) can only tell you if it has been registered.
Insurance people can't even decide if these old vin's are legal let alone whos property it is.
Hell pm me the(bike) vin and I'll call and tell them I'm looking at a bike for sale and want to know if it has been reported stolen. In MO they go by the frame VIN and not the motor. I've never had anyone look at motor vins. But I've never lived in KS so......idk

The # on the motor is 2FO-155109. I bought it off a salvage guy in kearny.mo.(home of jessie james) I live on the ks. side of the state line and have heard horror stories about cycles being impounded because the local law thought somthing was fishy. I have NO reason to believe there is a problem w/ the motor #'s.I always thought the motor and frame #'s matched - from the factory. I'm just trying to make sure before I take the leap. I think the motor came out of a 78/79. the kansas law won't run #'s w/o the unit sitting in front of them. Thanks

I found 3 sites that might work for someone in the future.
1.) cyclevin.com
2.) nicb.org
3.) vinfreecheck.com

Back