How to get out stripped BS38 Pilot Jets?

Hombre Verde

TheDynamicCycles.com
Reaction score
I have finally taken the carbs apart and found a real issue. The PO stripped the hell out of the pilot jets. There is no head on them at all. I have tried all that I can think of. Have soaked them for days. Even used my LH bits with pliers, by hand and they still just cut through the jet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hard to get a pic of them but this is what I have.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 9-12-11007.jpg
    9-12-11007.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 9-12-11006.jpg
    9-12-11006.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You could try drilling it out and use an EZ-OUT, but don't be surprised if they STILL won't come out without breaking the tool. You might be better off just cleaning out the hole and leaving it alone. I've been there before. You can always find another float bowl on this forum or eBay if you screw that one up.

I had the same exact problem, and it sucks. I took a Torx screwdriver that was randomly laying around, which was just a little bit bigger than the hole of the jet, and I tapped/lightly hammered it into the jet and easily turned it out. I'm not sure how harmful it could have been to the threads, but it seemed to work pretty well. And being that the jets are brass, it's pretty easy to get the tip of the driver in there without much tapping.

Hope that helps!

I had the same exact problem, and it sucks. I took a Torx screwdriver that was randomly laying around, which was just a little bit bigger than the hole of the jet, and I tapped/lightly hammered it into the jet and easily turned it out. I'm not sure how harmful it could have been to the threads, but it seemed to work pretty well. And being that the jets are brass, it's pretty easy to get the tip of the driver in there without much tapping.

Hope that helps!

I didn't think of trying a torx. I will have to give that a try. Thanks

Fill the holes with whatever slovent you are using and let them soak longer.
The left hand bits will still cut the metal till the varnish turns loose.
An e z out, the torx or a small flat blade jammed in to bite may be the better choice?

I would just replace the float bowls. Even if I had to buy a set of carbs to do it.
That way you will have spare parts if you need them.
Leo

I went to the Depot and used a #1 drill bit with a matching ez out. Came out quick.

That's the ticket! Let them soak for another day. The #1 EZ Out set worked great! Didn't even use the drill bit. Had already tried my LH bit on one of the jets and didn't drill the other one at all. Used the EZ Out #1 bit with pliers and they came out easy.
Thanks

Lets see, that's... 51 posts for me begging for help, 1 answer to another member and 1 bragging about it.

Glad it worked for you.

Back