How to mount sporty tank?

memyself

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Could i just drill two holes in the backbone shove a bolt with some rubber grommets and im good? Or how do you guys mount these tanks?

Hey, I'm extremely new to this and don't have much experience, but I am pretty sure you can't put a hole in the frame as it would weaken it. I think you need to weld on a bracket that the tank can attach to. Hopefully the other experienced guys will chime in on this. Good luck.

Sherwin

When we mounted mine just welded two bungs on the top frame gusset, notched the brace where coil mounts and welded in two more bungs and that about it! Hope that helps!

LHG

1981.jpg

On a Sportster, where it belongs?

Seriously though, there are any number of methods. You don't have to have bungs. Get 2 1/4" bolts and nuts a couple of wide washers and your rubber grommets. Drill your holes a bit bigger than 1/4 inch. Weld the nuts over the holes, grind the nuts down some if necessary.

thats an awesome idea teebs! not that i would expect anything less from you ;) may have gone that route had i thought about it. i just drilled my backbone and welded a slug into the frame that goes all the way thru that has a hole drilled in the center for the bolt to go through the backbone. however teebs method seems much simplier and work just as good if not better! good luck.

On a Sportster, where it belongs?

Seriously though, there are any number of methods. You don't have to have bungs. Get 2 1/4" bolts and nuts a couple of wide washers and your rubber grommets. Drill your holes a bit bigger than 1/4 inch. Weld the nuts over the holes, grind the nuts down some if necessary.

I'm not sure I understand this. Any chance you can elaborate? Pics?

[Sorry, I realize this thread is sort of old, I'm just now seeing it]

at least slug the frame if you drill it. You can get metal sleeves from just about any hardware store.

I used RIVNUTS, refer
dont worry about the special insertr. Watch the show until about 1:40 in when they start to use a "field tool" just bodgey up one of them out of a long bolt, washer and nut and away you go

hey guys i am also new to this whole site i have owned an 81 xs400 for a year now and pretty much just restored it super fun now i picked up my 650 and am ready to bob it. my problem with this sporster tank is that it doesnt seem to quite fit over my top tube its hitting right at the top where the excess weld is. is that ok if i just take a grinder to that to smooth it down? other than that the whole drilling holes makes complete sense thanks for the help guys!

Back