How to remove lock collar for triple w/out hook spanner

Spoonito

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I must have visited at least 7-8 stores including hardware stores, automotive parts stores, etc. Even tried calling a yamaha dealership. No one has a hook spanner around me thatvi could find. Is there a way to remove the 2 lock collars for the triple tree without a hook spanner wrench? I could order one online and wait for it to get to me, but I'm pretty impatient sometimes and I want to finish getting te bike apart so I can start prepping the frame for paint.

Thanks.

Metal Punch and a Ball Peen Hammer ( or a flat bladed screw driver and a ball peen hammer but a punch is better )... move around the top lock nut tapping it in several locations until it unscrews then do the same with the bottom one... Don't go ape on it or it will mess up the lock nuts...

I hope that helps :)

Helps to grind your "punch" to fit fit the slots so it doesn't butcher the nut.

This was part of a garage door opener. and "made" with an angle grinder.

Stem%20nut%20spanners.JPG

When I went to reset them after riding for a bit, the big size made it hard to get the wrenches on the nuts when the top triple and gas tank are on. I cut one back some to get it in there. Even out of plain ole steel, they don't need to be this beefy.

stem%20003.JPG

I traced a nut on the steel and started grinding til it fit. Works great. I made it because it took less time than running around looking for one.:wink2:
key words; steering nut spanner wrench tool home made fabricate.homemade special. top upper race bearing tension ball taper setting

I use a air hammer on mine. Someday I will be a PO that buggered up the lock nuts.

I used one I had for my Mountain Bike Crank and the tool that came with mikes XS1 pipes for tightening the collar the connects the muffler to the head Pipe.

I really like gggGary's homemade tools.

I was able to get a lockring wrench for a track bike hub to work on those.

Bike shops sell these parts, the cheaper Park tool wrenches are only ab $9.

^ looks like Blue has the right idea

It really takes two. You need one to hold the lower nut at your adjustment point and a second to tighten the top nut down against it. Go at it with only one wrench or with a hammer and chisel and you're going to have a hard time setting the bearings precisely. I guess that doesn't matter much to many here.

5twins,,,

He said take apart and nothing about putting back together,,, I would hope by the time it's ready to go back together he would have picked up the right tool for the right job...

Do you really think that's gonna happen? LOL, LOL. That's why Harleys don't come with tool kits - they couldn't fit that 32 ounce ball peen in there.

I'll have it by then... I have all winter to get them. Completely redoing the bike cafe style. I'll be doing some cutting, carbon fiber pieces, and engine rebuilding. So that definitely give me enough time to track down the proper tools!

Back