How to remove wheels..ha..please help :/

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be the dumbest question ever asked on here but since I've never done it, I need to know how.

I need to take both my tires off my bike so I can paint the rims and get new rubber for them. be nice If I knew how they came off before I started removing things I dont need to and endup not knowing how it goes back together.

Checked the guides section but didnt see a description, if anyone would like to point me out a link or give me some detailed instructions, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
your probably going to have to take these to a cycle shop. I have taken dirkbike tires off rims by hand with the proper tools but i would never try street tires. Your one bad mofo if you can do it by hand. Probably mark up the rim while doing it.

Okay..... Well i hope that i don't sound like a prick but thats a wheel assembly and a tire is the rubber thing around the outer part of the wheel assembly its kinda easy to figure out. Do you have a service manual?

take a socket or cresent wrench the size of head of axle head and do the same for the the nut on the other side. righty tighty left loosey. Once nut is completely loose remove bolt from frame and wheel asembly. Then lower wheel and remove chain from sprocket.Oh you will have to have the bike lifted off ground when doing so. The front is the same process except there should be pinch bolts on one side of fork under the fork tube. should be ten millimeter. Loosen nut and bolt then loosen your pinch bolt to remove axle

Rim protectors and tire spoons (not tire irons). Break the bead with piece of 2x4 and sledge hammer... or make a bead breaker.

or take the wheel to someone and have it done in like ten seconds for cheap or if your replacing the tires cut them off (even easier). then you can pay to have the new ones installed...:laugh::laugh:

your probably going to have to take these to a cycle shop. I have taken dirkbike tires off rims by hand with the proper tools but i would never try street tires. Your one bad mofo if you can do it by hand. Probably mark up the rim while doing it.

Ok just gotta say my son has raced motocross for years and I have changed probably hundreds of tires and they still suck azz to change BUT I couldn't believe how easy it was to change them on my xs. Mine are mags so there tubeless so that probably helped but spray some simple green on the bead and it slips right on.

Do you have the most important tool for your bike you will ever have, A repair manual? You might be surprized just what you will find in a repair manual.
Leo

Back