How to take ignition off

Reaction score
Hey guys, Yes I've done another stupid thing, first I never had another ignition key made, second stupid thing I didn't was never put it on a ring of keys, the third stupid thing I did was lost the key:banghead::banghead: I was at my daughter's house, thought I laid the key on the table, but now can't find it (I think a 2 year old granddaughter put it somewhere) but anyway I found a locksmith in my area can make me a key, but I have to take off the ignition and take it to them, never took one off before :shrug: so can someone tell me how too. (need help)

The research I did seems to be remove two screws and unplug the connection, not sure if that in my bucket or not, I will see, just trying to get some insight, don't want to miss it up.

Yep, real simple. In the headlight bucket is a 3 prong connector going to your ignition key switch (it's easy to trace it back to the ignition to verify the correct plug). Disconnect, and pull through the access hole in the bucket.

The ignition switch is held on by two screws (10mm hex nut?) underneath the top triple tree, and that's it.

If you have the stock gauges and idiot lights still on, you may need to get them out of the way to to the bolts, or maybe just us an extension for the socket wrench.

Got it off, took to locksmith, 10.00 and two new key, got it back in and on the road again.

Hi rich,
didja get the child x-rayed to see if she swallowed the lost key?
And 2 ain't enough.
A real cautious guy would get 6
3 with you and the bike:-
On the key fob. In your billfold. Taped inside a sidecover
3 stashed:-
In your sock drawer. In your bank deposit box. At your Mom's place.

Yeah, no X-ray lol, she hid it real good, we ask here where pappy' keys at and she said its out side, maybe it will turn up since we're not looking for it anymore. I did put one key in the sock drawer. Lol

Hi rich,
didja get the child x-rayed to see if she swallowed the lost key?
And 2 ain't enough.
A real cautious guy would get 6
3 with you and the bike:-
On the key fob. In your billfold. Taped inside a sidecover
3 stashed:-
In your sock drawer. In your bank deposit box. At your Mom's place.

I see that you are an optimist Fred ...:wink2:

If it were me I'd get at least 10 keys cut :yikes: and probably leave the lot in the shop:(

The other day I went to the local shops and being lazy I took the Wifes car .when I returned she said haven't you forgotten something ???

No I said ... I took a shopping list with me this time and I've got the lot .

'Wheres my car' ? She said ..........:doh:

Back