how to take the alt/rotor off??

volcom8877

reckless and relentless
Reaction score
i have my stator off and trying to take the rotor off but i dont know how to stop the motor from turning when i try and loosen the 17mm bolt that holds it on?b i tried it in gear and it just pushes my bike across the garage.

I used a 3/8 drive cordless impact but if you don't have an impact you could put a wrench on it and hit the wrench with a hammer to break the nut free

i got a impact i will try that now. i was trying it with the wrench and hammer but the crank kept turning. dont know why i dint think of the impact. thank you sir

Next up; you need the special thread rotor puller, a gear puller will destroy the rotor. The one from MikesXS works good, I have used it 7 or 8 times. Just in case you didn't know...

When you put the new one back on, you can always keep things from turning by stuffing a folded towel between the chain and a sprocket.

I've done worse things but if you ever want to reuse the rotor use the puller. (experience) Not sure what stops the crank from moving while you are prying, the main bearings?

When I did mine I put it in gear and held down the rear brake and leaned myself over the bike with a socket wrench and it popped off fairly easily. I would definitely invest in a rotor puller if I were you, if you haven't already.

Back