Hugh's CDI Ignition

It's been a secret, he has been spent the last 2 years developing this after vigorous searching of the web and finding no one supplying this type of product.

A buddy is buying my spare engine off of me....I might just keep it just to try this ignition system out haha

They are not a stand alone ignition, they run off his PMA. I'm not really sold on the PMA's.
Leo

Someone needs to figure how to make the ignition curve adjustable like Probe did cuz he's going out out business. That would be putting the icing on the cake.

Jake they do , I have been selling a complete ignition like the one Hugh just came up with for year. It has an electronic adjustable advance cure.
As to why Hugh probably has not mentioned a new product on this site is what I ran into to last time I mentioned my ignition, son guy like retiredgentalman calls you a lier and you just wanting sell you products, when he never tired one and I am sure he will not try Hughes.
I have been selling and using the powerdynamo for over 8 years and never had a recall. I see lasper01 also mentioned that powerdynamo has been selling one for these for years..
As always thanks for listening, Gary

Last edited:
Jake they do , I have been selling a complete ignition like the one Hugh just came up with for year. It has an electronic adjustable advance cure.
As to why Hugh probably has not mentioned a new product on this site is what I ran into to last time I mentioned my ignition, son guy like retiredgentalman calls you a lier and you just wanting sell you products, when he never tired one and I am sure he will not try Hughes.
I have been selling and using the powerdynamo for over 8 years and never had a recall. I see lasper01 also mentioned that powerdynamo has been selling one for these for years..

Truthfully thats why this is kind of a bummer for me. You have been selling that kit for awhile and not many people mention it, Hugh on the other hand will sell the hell out of his and it's essentially the same exact thing. Not to mention I'm sure he's had a power Dynamo kit in his shop for reference....

If you have paid attention to our social media (instagram and Facebook) you would have seen teasers of it - but we just launched the Pre-Sale last night on our site....

Honestly, we have avoided "pimping out stuff" on the forums for a while. I'll use the "shops" section for that. We have a handful of XS650.com members who have been beta testing this system for several months, and of course our own 1975 Test Mule has been racking up the miles as well...

It is true, the new system isn't a standalone ignition, it's much like what is offered on most modern Japanese bikes, in that the CDI is self powered by the source coils on the stator, and the other could power the rest of the accessories/lights/etc... I'll be releasing more details as I get time in the next few weeks on my site.. So it's not powered by the PMA as an accessory as in previous setups that are available, it's integral. You can literally unplug the regulator from the stator and the bike will still start/run. .

It should be noted we are offering a Customer Loyalty Program for those who have out standard PMA system and would like to upgrade. All those details are in the webstore...

I'll do my best to jump in and answer questions - in the meantime, I've got a lot of machining and manufacturing to do :thumbsup:

Hugh

Truthfully thats why this is kind of a bummer for me. You have been selling that kit for awhile and not many people mention it, Hugh on the other hand will sell the hell out of his and it's essentially the same exact thing. Not to mention I'm sure he's had a power Dynamo kit in his shop for reference....

It may operate similarly to the Powerdynamo, I've never run one, and I did get a 277 from Gary a while back but haven't had time to install or use it. Gary and I talk often, and do business with each other - it's a friendly relationship. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks figure8, I hope he does, I sold a lot early on then I stopped because of the euro to dollar. Then I became a dealer again and was able to lower the cost to under $530.00 and even do better if they prepay.
Hugh and I are good friends and there is always room for good products.

Last edited:
It may operate similarly to the Powerdynamo, I've never run one, and I did get a 277 from Gary a while back but haven't had time to install or use it. Gary and I talk often, and do business with each other - it's a friendly relationship. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's all I was hoping to hear, Gary was really good to me when I bought carbs from him. Just want him to do well too.[emoji106]

Thanks figure8, I hope he does, I sold a lot early on then I stopped because of the euro to dollar. Then I became a dealer again and was able to lower the cost to under $530.00 and even do better if they prepay.
Hugh and I are good friends and there is always room for good products.

[emoji106][emoji106]

You might be surprised, but instead of being competition, many of us talk to each other semi-weekly. All for the betterment of the XS Community. MMM, Gary, Pamcoete, Dan from Pandemonium, TC Bros - always with a smile... We have some awesome folks in our world, it's really quite impressive...

Hugh

You might be surprised, but instead of being competition, many of us talk to each other semi-weekly. All for the betterment of the XS Community. MMM, Gary, Pamcoete, Dan from Pandemonium, TC Bros - always with a smile... We have some awesome folks in our world, it's really quite impressive...

Hugh

That's good to know, I've bought from each of those vendors. Not to mention Wes at Counter Balance and Jay at Jump Street and the list goes on....just want you to know I wasn't trying to attack you in any way, was just wondering.

That's good to know, I've bought from each of those vendors. Not to mention Wes at Counter Balance and Jay at Jump Street and the list goes on....just want you to know I wasn't trying to attack you in any way, was just wondering.

Jay is rad! He's one of the good ones for sure!

I never take things as an attack, I've learned that any form of criticism is just another opportunity to learn :thumbsup: besides, soft skin damages too early to be machining and welding all day - haha...

Hugh

Jay is rad! He's one of the good ones for sure!

I never take things as an attack, I've learned that any form of criticism is just another opportunity to learn :thumbsup: besides, soft skin damages too early to be machining and welding all day - haha...

Hugh

Good deal! I'm thinking we set up a go fund me for Jay so he doesn't sell his Shovel!! I get he's gotta do what he's gotta do, but it sucks too!!!

He didn't personally call you a lire. He made this statment

"Whenever I see PMA manufacturers or sellers telling lies, I have no hesitation bringing it to everyone's attention."

After he read the manufacturers statement, (posted link by you), on the output they claimed an XS650 Charging system did.

link to thread; http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45528

I'm sorry but when he said "Whenever I see PMA manufacturers or sellers telling lies"
he is implying I lied because I am a seller. Plain and simple.. All I said was that I used them and raced them long before I sold them and I never had a recall. Before someone puts down a product he better use one , I can post my thoughts all day but every product I have ever sold I have used and stand behind. so he still owes me an apology.

He is not putting down the product of a PMA, As said in the thread the original charging system can be used and is an effective system if the maintenance of other parts of the bike is kept up, learning about your bike and the original charging system could mean that money spend on something that is not needed, (maybe wanted because of bragging rights), could be spent on something else. I try to inform newbies that there is an option and, sellers and manufacturers, will tell you that the original charging system is weak and unreliable and requires maintenance and needs to be replaced with a reliable PMA, when the case is not necessarily true

Bit thin skinned i think. You are only a lire if you consider your in the category of a Manufacturer or seller who makes false/lies and/or misleading statements. If you not in that category then whats the problem.

Last edited:
Back