Hugh's PMA and points: bike won't start, ran 4 days ago

krza

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey gang. I'm stumped here, needing some assistance.

I built this bike, it ran and rode (with some carb issues that were more annoying than terrible). It is set up with a Hugh's Handbuilt PMA, sparx cap, and simple in-frame wiring done by me.

I tore it down for paint, and rebuilt it last Friday. It fired right up (second kick, like before I tore it down in April). I rode it, but it was running like shit. Flooding on one cylinder (float height), and unbalanced (needed to put a manometer on it). So, carb issues, no big deal. Saturday, I rode it, same carb issues. I brought it to the shop and decided to go through all the adjustments and make it ran legit before carb tuning. Started with cam chain tension, valve adjustment, and then went on to points (thinking I'd move on to carb adjustment after).

I had never adjusted the points on the bike since I bought it. They had always been fine, but I had never fucked with them (seems like that was smart in hindsight). I re-gapped them to .012 with feeler gauges, and re-assembled. Bike would not start. First time since I bought it, it would not start. Used to be a consistent second kick.

More fucking around, cleaning the points up, and I got it to run on just the left cylinder, but it was a hard start and of course didn't want to stay running.

Some reading led me to believe that I put it out of time when I re-gapped the points. I went back in with brake cleaner, cleaned them up, and adjusted them according to this document: http://bit.ly/mESD1r.
I also followed this thread: http://bit.ly/1609tXX

Still no start. Not even a single thump of firing. I'm pretty convinced it's timing. Both plugs have good blue spark. It's getting fuel and air and spark, so I assume the spark is out of time.

The issue I'm having: none of these guides on timing have anything about a battery-free system like my PMA/cap system.

So I'm using the multimeter, set to Ohms to check when the points are closed. I set the timing mark on my HHB flywheel to the fire mark on my HHB timing sticker. I then adjust the points so they are closed and showing continuity. That's the idea, right? Points are closed and current is passing through?

Am I correct in how I'm doing this?

Anyone else timing a points/PMA bike? Should I hook a battery where the capacitor is wired and do the timing procedure with the light bulb test method?

It's good when you find a basic error and put it right. For me I will never ever go back to points now I am on electronic ignition, and the PMA and Sparx are on the way.

Anlaf

I didn't read your links, but they look like good instructions, so assume that they are and you should follow them.

So, my first concern would be, did the PMA move?

Check for top dead center on the left piston by turning the engine over until the piston is at the upper most position. I use a thin screwdriver in the spark plug hole to find TDC, top dead center.

If your TDC timing mark lines up, you are good to go the Ign and Advance marks will be okay, if not, the PMA could have slipped.

Hugh doesn't provide a 4mm to 5mm stepped woodruff key to avoid this problem.

Last edited:
On points timing you set the timing marks to the fire mark. Adjust the backing plate on the upper set first to just open. The spark occurs just as the points open. Once you get the upper set you set the lower.
Leo

Back