Hydraulic Clutch Issue

Like I said above, worm gear is fine and retracts freely when disconnected.

Over in Hugh's thread, Phail installed the kit and had to get a stronger spring......maybe the retraction issue is common? I manually slid the actuator rod in and out of the slave a few times and there is definitely resistance coming from the bore itself, possibly preventing the actuator rod from withdrawing back to original position. Unfortunately I don't have any spare springs lying around :laugh:

The slave cylinder will only retract when the cover is bolted to the engine, allowing the clutch springs to put pressure against the Clutch Rod, and then the worm gear, and then the Slave Cylinder... Whew! - thats a long chain of events. That little spring on the worm gear isn't going to return the slave cylinder back by itself. If you are having issues with the System, at this time you should probably return it, and let us ship you another one. We rarely have issues with these so far, but if you are getting resistance inside the slave, that doesn't sound good.

PS, Answering your emails right now :)

Hugh

The slave cylinder will only retract when the cover is bolted to the engine, allowing the clutch springs to put pressure against the Clutch Rod, and then the worm gear, and then the Slave Cylinder... Whew! - thats a long chain of events. That little spring on the worm gear isn't going to return the slave cylinder back by itself. If you are having issues with the System, at this time you should probably return it, and let us ship you another one. We rarely have issues with these so far, but if you are getting resistance inside the slave, that doesn't sound good.

PS, Answering your emails right now :)

Hugh

Thanks for the explanation......I have off my sidecover and put it back on more times than I can count now.........no clutch engagement whatsoever and I'm pretty puzzled.

At this point I do believe something "isn't right" in the system and an exchange might be best. I would be more than happy to pay any shipping or return fees, even if it means waiting for you to get more in stock.

We've got some in stock, just have to assemble them which is time consuming. No worries on shipment, I'll cover that.. Just want you to be happy with your parts and the conversion. Shoot me an email with your address and I'll get another out the door to you ASAP

Hugh

We've got some in stock, just have to assemble them which is time consuming. No worries on shipment, I'll cover that.. Just want you to be happy with your parts and the conversion. Shoot me an email with your address and I'll get another out the door to you ASAP

Hugh

Awesome! Email just sent. :D

Got my replacement hydraulic clutch conversion kit today :)

Put it on and at least this one works....but adjustment is a bitch! :banghead: I tweak and get neutral easy to find but then experience slippage at high RPMs. I tweak some more and neutral becomes impossible to find and major slippage at low RPMs. I could probably put up with the slippage at high RPMs but now can't even get back to that setting. I am turning the screw in and out and can't seem to find a good adjustment. Never had this problem with my cable clutch. Any suggestions???

P.S. Hugh, I shipped back the old kit yesterday.

Got my replacement hydraulic clutch conversion kit today :)

Put it on and at least this one works....but adjustment is a bitch! :banghead: I tweak and get neutral easy to find but then experience slippage at high RPMs. I tweak some more and neutral becomes impossible to find and major slippage at low RPMs. I could probably put up with the slippage at high RPMs but now can't even get back to that setting. I am turning the screw in and out and can't seem to find a good adjustment. Never had this problem with my cable clutch. Any suggestions???

P.S. Hugh, I shipped back the old kit yesterday.

If you are getting slippage at High RPM, you need to back off of the adjuster screw on the side cover. It will take a few lever pulls to get the hydraulic system adjusted for the slack in the worm gear. You want just a bit of slack in the worm gear adjustment, or you will get top end slippage out of the clutch.

If you are getting slippage at High RPM, you need to back off of the adjuster screw on the side cover. It will take a few lever pulls to get the hydraulic system adjusted for the slack in the worm gear. You want just a bit of slack in the worm gear adjustment, or you will get top end slippage out of the clutch.

Yeah, I am close to perfect now! :thumbsup:

I was worried I would be monkeying with this all weekend. I'm pretty tired and it doesn't help that it's a bazillion degrees outside :laugh: But I think after a couple minuscule tweaks and a few choice words it will be good to go. The slippage is almost gone :bike:

I am really happy with mine now. I ended up taking the cover off another time, first loosening the adjuster screw and jam bolt on the outside of the cover, pulling the arm on the worm gear as far away as it would extend, then putting the cover on. Then adjustment was really easy.

With the Punk's system you'll always have to adjust the clutch with a Clutch slave from an Aprilia, the adjustment is automatic.

With the Punk's system you'll always have to adjust the clutch with a Clutch slave from an Aprilia, the adjustment is automatic.

If you have a beef with Punkskalar, come out with it and get it sorted, don't think you are going to make to many friends though.:poke:

Why do you have to use an Aprilla clutch slave to adjust the clutch. :umm: That is the way your statement reads so you'll have to learn your grammar before anyone can understand what you are saying. :laugh:

Hugh's HC is more practical for some of us who doesn't want to do any machining or drilling in our sidecovers.

I'm almost starting to believe slingshot sells Aprilia slaves on eBay. That or holds a grudge.

As someone that has done the Aprilia hydraulic clutch conversion I can tell you that it is not a simple bolt on and go operation. Hugh has put in the work to source all the parts for a very simple hydraulic conversion. It may not be the best as far as a set and forget type deal like using the Aprilia slave cylinder but there is a whole hell of a lot less front end work such as machining the piston retainer to fit in the side cover. Slingshot, you posted in another thread that Hugh doesn't take care of his customers. I would have to disagree from what I have seen on this forum, I can't speak from personal experience. He goes above and beyond what would be considered good customer service. As 650Skull said if you have a beef with Hugh put it out there for all to see otherwise quit pussy footing around and bad mouthing his products that were developed to help keep our aging girls on the road and make it easier on us.

Has anyone EVER seen someone post where they're having a problem with one of Hugh's products where Hugh did NOT chime in and help solve the problem??.............
Me neither.

I've got nothing to hide :D

To keep this thread cleaned up, for the betterment of the XS650 Community, I have address Slingshot here:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18513

So yeah, this may be a total side issue on this thread, but it appeared to need addressing. I have nothing to hide, I am very open about my timelines, obligations, etc.. when it comes to Hugh's HandBuilt. I'm proud of my company, and my customers are the most important thing in the world to me. Making sure they are happy, makes me happy. So in the mean time, THANK YOU for all the support that I see continually in the XS650 community, it makes my job soo much more fun - you guys (and gals) rock! :thumbsup:

Hugh

Last edited:
THE PUNK’S PERFORMANCE

Following the Punk’s, dropping of the ball for 6 months on a set of triple trees. He agreed to perform machining on a clutch assembly as restitution for his failure to perform in a reasonable and timely manner on said triple trees.

Upon receiving the clutch assembly, The Punk, again, promised to begin machining the very next week. Over two months passed and the Punk admitted to not even opening the clutch assembly package.

Since this type of performance is not acceptable to our organization, The Punk was given his termination notice and is not allowed to perform any machining or parts sales/distribution with our organization here in Florida and Texas.

We certainly did not want to throw any dirt on the PUNK however; the situation has escalated to this point.

We wish The Punk well with his future endeavors.

There is a thread HERE specifically for feedback on dealings with other members. This is where you should be addressing your displeasure.

Not taking sides on this issue, that is for both of you to sort out.

slingshot, Out of 12 posts you have 3 slanging of at ardcore choppers and 3 slanging Punkskalar. you have been throwing dirt, calling Punkskalar names, (PUNK), At least the 4th was addressing the issue.

It sounds like you have, or are involved in a business, is stalking and making snide remarks in threads repeatedly without actually confronting the issue front on, any way for a business to behave.

Last edited:
Back